Premed 101 Forums

MD Finances

I just got into med school! But I don't really know how all this financial thing works... Do I just walk into a bank and ask someone to explain all of it to me or do I need to go to specific people?

I don't think I'll need to take out any loans for med school, but perhaps it could be good to take out loans (which I'm assuming have a low interest rate) and invest that money in something? I don't even know the meaning of most of these words!

Investopedia is a good place to start. I find their article is appropriate for people of the general public. They have good explanation of terms. They have helpful videos too. Topics of interest to a med student are things like interest/loans, budgeting/saving, taxes.

If you can get a provincial loan for no interest, you could consider using that to make money. You could play safe and put it in a savings account/GIC or take risks and try equities (stocks, ETF etc). There's no rush, take your time to read, understand the basics of personal finance, and look around for good deals.

• 3 months later...
On 6/2/2017 at 7:43 PM, 1997 said:

I just got into med school! But I don't really know how all this financial thing works... Do I just walk into a bank and ask someone to explain all of it to me or do I need to go to specific people?

I don't think I'll need to take out any loans for med school, but perhaps it could be good to take out loans (which I'm assuming have a low interest rate) and invest that money in something? I don't even know the meaning of most of these words!

no worries, everyone starts somewhere. 

a word of warning about investing - no one really knows the future of things in the stock market except that in the long term it will do pretty well. Right now we are 9 years into a growth boom which is a rather long time without a recession. A healthy amount of caution seems logical :)

Archived