Premed 101 Forums

Attendings

very little, especially early on, since expectation for functioning is low and your role is limited.

having said that you'll get a lot of s*** for doing things that are against common sense:

- rude to staff, nurses, other people in the workplace

- interrupt people, act arrogantly, think you know it all

- show up late, doesn't try, doesn't give a c***

- careless, non chalant, unwilling to learn and improve

- poor communication with patients, family, parents

- doing reckless things without checking in with resident or team, endanger patient safety

bottom line, even if your knowledge level is bare minimum, as long as you act like a nice person and put in some effort to increase your ability, it's rare for someone to fail you as a student.

what will get you a lot of thumbs up from residents and attendings:

- smile, treat everyone well, say hi/good morning, even if you're tired or having a bad day

- when given knowledge by resident or attending, thank them for teaching you

-  when a resident give you an opportunity to show off in front of the attending, thank them in private.

-  give effort, try hard, doesn't shun away from small/boring tasks when being asked. 

-  try to make the team run smoother, such as print off some extra patient lists, lend a resident an extra pen, grab the vital charts before entering the room.

-  treat patient and family well, receives compliments from patients.

4 hours ago, shikimate said:

- smile, treat everyone well, say hi/good morning, even if you're tired or having a bad day

-  when a resident give you an opportunity to show off in front of the attending, thank them in private.

-  give effort, try hard, doesn't shun away from small/boring tasks when being asked. 

-  try to make the team run smoother, such as print off some extra patient lists, lend a resident an extra pen, grab the vital charts before entering the room.

Might be the smartest and most useful thing I've read today (and I've been studying all day).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-06-03 at 7:33 PM, Snowmen said:

Might be the smartest and most useful thing I've read today (and I've been studying all day).

As a senior resident with two weeks left in residency I can tell you this. 

As a junior learner (anyone who is a med student, first year residents and off service junior residents) you just need to be a normal pleasant human being. Social intelligence is more important than medical knowledge.

I don't care if you know nothing about medicine. In fact, I assume you know the minimum if you are junior. Based on interacting with you it will become apparent in minutes where your level is at. The teaching will be adjusted to your level. That's our job as teachers. Being at a beginner level is fine and expected. We all were there at one point. No shame in that. 

If a resident or staff makes you feel bad about this they have no insight and probably should not be supervising learners. People that rely on shame based learning are rubbish teachers. The evidence supports me on this. I believe in evidence based education. We all should as future and current physicians. Full stop. 

But as a learner you need to be keen to learn. You are there to learn. Learning at this point is your primary job. Not caring about learning means you are not doing your job. No one likes that. It's annoying and wastes everyones precious time.

If you want to be a rockstar anticipate the little things that help make the day go smother. Gather charts, help get documentation together without prompting etc. But this should come secondary to learning.

At the end of the day you want to leave this impression:

Engaged and pleasant learner. Someone who clearly acquired knowledge and applied it during the rotation. Can be trusted with safely of patients relative to skill level.  Bonus if they anticipated the needs of the team and responded within their capacity. Will be missed when rotation is done. 

This guy is way more solid a future colleague than the book genius that can't interact with people according to expected norms or the arrogant donkey who upsets everyone.

Catch my drift? :)

On 6/3/2017 at 3:15 PM, shikimate said:

Thanks for the super helpful advice, I'm going into clerkship now and this is what I was looking for. I'll try and do you proud!

Archived