Premed 101 Forums

I don't know what the degree requirements are for the HBA program, but as long as you are able to satisfy any of the prerequisite university course requirements that some Canadian medical schools have (likely using elective courses)--in addition to achieving a high GPA, you should be fine.

People in medical school come from all sorts of educational backgrounds, so you need not worry about that (ex. music, humanities, business, accounting, law, sciences, etc.).

If business is something you are genuinely interested in, then go ahead with it, get great grades while exploring your interests and being involved in your community, then if medicine is something you are still keen on you can take the science courses you may need, write the MCAT, further develop your resume with experiences that demonstrate the CANMEDS roles, and potentially find yourself in medical school one day.

As a past Western grad (and I have family members that did business at Ivey) I would not recommend the biomed/ Ivey program for getting into med school. Since the average is set to 80 for all Ivey courses (I believe) it's really hard to get the required marks for med school since its very difficult to get much higher than 80...

Bad idea unless your GPA the first two years are really really good (3.98-4).

Getting into ivey is really easy, all you need is a 80 avg and some extracurriculars (the 80% avg is more important I hear). However, in Ivey, marks are curved to a mean of 80 and a standard deviation of 2 percent. That means only 5% of the class will be getting more than 84% on exams. Two years full of 3.7s or even 3.3s can seriously put you out of the running for medschool in Ontario. In a general science program, the average may be lower but the standard deviation will be much greater, meaning that if you're a high-achieving student you'll have a much better GPA. 

Only at Western (which takes best 2 years GPA) and American/overseas schools. 

In addition to what premed176 has said, the program involves a lot of groupwork/assignments which makes it even more difficult to control your end grade. Going to Ivey will almost certainly put you at a strong disadvantage for UofT, Queens, and Ottawa, leaving you with only Western and McMaster. 

Archived