Premed 101 Forums

Medical facilities in Canada and around the world

Olle

A thread dedicated to medical school and hospital facilities in Canada and around the world.

Post anything on the topic of medical facilities - your dissatisfaction, plans to reconstruct/renovate existing buildings , renderings, pictures, etc.

I'll start with the Roy and Diana Vagelos Center Education Center at Columbia University (New York City) - a state-of-the-art facility Canadian meds can only yearn for. 

It was built last year, and designed by: 

Architects

Gawd... imagine having the privilege to study here. I would make this my permanent home. 

Iwan_Baan_2B.jpg?1472043893

Iwan_Baan_4.jpg?1472043981

Related image

Related image

Related image

Iwan_Baan_3.jpg?1472043939

Nic_Lehoux_659.041.jpg?1472043483

Iwan_Baan_7.jpg?1472044108

Related image

Image result for vagelos education center

Iwan_Baan_6.jpg?1472044068

Nic_Lehoux_668.036.jpg?1472043617

659.014.jpg?1472043399

659.066.jpg?1472043424

Related image

?format=2500w

2016_08_30 CUMC 74.jpg

?format=2500w

?format=2500w

2016_08_30 CUMC 103.jpg

?format=2500w

?format=2500w

?format=2500w

?format=2500w

?format=2500w

?format=2500w

Looking west on West 171st Street.

Southeast corner from Haven Avenue.

The "Study Cascade" at the south facade.

?format=2500w

Looking southeast from an outdoor terrace on the 13th floor.

?format=2500w

View south from an outdoor terrace.

• 3 weeks later...

^The new med building is so nice!! I took a medical neuroscience course in grad school at queens and so I attended some of the second year med school lectures there and damn I was jealous. All last year I dreamed of being a student in that building. 

Though unfortunately queens rejected me, I have been admitted by the rival school (Western) so F U queens!!! (Just kidding I loved queens still kinda sad I didn't get in there) :P

13 hours ago, trj03 said:

^The new med building is so nice!! I took a medical neuroscience course in grad school at queens and so I attended some of the second year med school lectures there and damn I was jealous. All last year I dreamed of being a student in that building. 

Though unfortunately queens rejected me, I have been admitted by the rival school (Western) so F U queens!!! (Just kidding I loved queens still kinda sad I didn't get in there) :P

I was talking to a first year student at one of the Western interview weekend socials, and when I mentioned I was also interviewing at Queen's he warned me not to be seduced by how pretty the medical building is. Fast forward to the Queen's interview, I tried to take his advice but couldn't lmao. As soon as the tour of the building started, resistance was futile. I was like "I'm totally being seduced rn and idc".

But hey, although we have a pretty building, we don't have pretty housing lol. Some of the places I looked at while house hunting recently looked like they were haunted lmao (I guess because it's an old city). Oh well, I usually spend like 80% of my day outside the house anyway.

1 hour ago, Sauna said:

I was talking to a first year student at one of the Western interview weekend socials, and when I mentioned I was also interviewing at Queen's he warned me not to be seduced by how pretty the medical building is. Fast forward to the Queen's interview, I tried to take his advice but couldn't lmao. As soon as the tour of the building started, resistance was futile. I was like "I'm totally being seduced rn and idc".

But hey, although we have a pretty building, we don't have pretty housing lol. Some of the places I looked at while house hunting recently looked like they were haunted lmao (I guess because it's an old city). Oh well, I usually spend like 80% of my day outside the house anyway.

Haha true, you will get to spend most of your days in that beautiful building! Many of the houses in the student ghetto are unfortunately pretty old and not well kept... keep looking though, there are some nice places! I lived just west of the ghetto in a fairly nice house in an area with lots of families and loved it. Also downtown on/around princess street there are nice apartments with beautiful exposed brick walls and such :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's just me, but I'm always paranoid with buildings that have random portions of their structure suspended mid-air or supported only by a few rectangular pillars, which is irrational I'm sure, as I trust that the various architects, engineers, and construction workers would've paid the utmost attention to detail. Still, that overhang... Love the rooftop gardens though.

Archived