Premed 101 Forums

Hi, asking for a friend who is applying next year

He was just wondering if anyone has received an English stream interview this past cycle with a wGPA of 3.91? But TBH, based on the invite/reject thread 2017, the minimum I saw for an undergrad IP (Out of Ottawa) was at least wGPA 3.93, so 3.91 doesn't really seem quite promising...but hopefully, someone out there can provide some hope ! :)

I think a couple years ago they looked at ECs pre-interview(?), but this past year was just CASPER and GPA, so they would need a very high CASPER grade. If they're a 3rd year applicant, I would say their chances are slim.

It's too bad that Ottawa has no MCAT to standardize things a bit. The number of near perfect GPAs applying to Ottawa is insane...

Thanks for the replies! I agree, with the recent increases in GPAs for admissions, people whom are on the lower spectrum of GPA would likely try to compensate through other parts of the application (e.g. CASPer, ECs)...(although GPA is King).

I'll let him know what people have said so far, but at the end of the day, it's his decision to apply or not :)

100% apply, do the MCAT and make sure to study very well verbal reasoning. You have a chance, there is a lot of people in 3.8s and low 3.9s that dont post here. But I suggest you apply everywhere else at the same time, its a very similar application process for all Ontario schools.

Mr Duck

51 minutes ago, Donald_Duck said:

100% apply, do the MCAT and make sure to study very well verbal reasoning. You have a chance, there is a lot of people in 3.8s and low 3.9s that dont post here. But I suggest you apply everywhere else at the same time, its a very similar application process for all Ontario schools.

Mr Duck

Wait.. You can actually interview at Ottawa with high 3.8s (given a good CASPer)? I previously thought even a 3.9 would be pushing it

57 minutes ago, SoraAde said:

Wait.. You can actually interview at Ottawa with high 3.8s (given a good CASPer)? I previously thought even a 3.9 would be pushing it

Mr. Duck is probably referring to high 3.80s like 3.87 and above. There have been some posters who got in with GPA's in that range, albeit rare.

Yes of course, and its getting increasingly more common with schools that take the MCAT. Given that its the same application process you should strongly consider using the same application (same sketch) and apply to all schools in Ontario, while focusing a lot on verbal reasoning and on the casper. If you check the stats, the median acceptance GPA from cohorts not too long ago was about 3.93, so there is definitely some in the 3.8s/low 3.9s. However these applicants nowadays have to score really high in the casper.

Mr Duck

• 1 year later...
On 6/15/2017 at 1:17 PM, RichardDegrasseSagan said:

It's possible, but would be a huge gamble. But I saw a couple of 3.91s. I got an interview and eventually got in with a 3.92. I likely had a high CASPer score though because I was invited to Mac with a 3.61 cGPA. 

What was your MCAT score though? And do you identify as Native?

Archived