Premed 101 Forums

Master of Public Health (MPH)

Hi Everyone!

This thread is for anyone who has been accepted to the Master of Public Health program at Memorial University starting Fall 2017.

I haven't found anywhere else to connect with people who're in this program, so I thought that a few of you here may be going to do your MPH before Med School.
I'm from British Columbia, and although I've been waitlisted at UBC Medical School as an IP applicant, after the 4th round of invites I'm thinking it's time to consider going to do my Master of Public Health before applying again. 

If anyone is going in to the MPH program, I'd love to connect with you prior to classes starting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lgshaver! I am accepted to the MPH program for Fall 2017 as well! I was actually completing the Graduate Diploma in Community Health last year but chose to transfer to the MPH, so I already have half of the courses completed. I'm in a similar boat as you - I took some time off to do graduate studies before applying to MUN Medicine again this year. Let me know if you have any questions as I have been a student in the division for a year now and could probably give you a good idea of what to expect! :) 

Thanks, both of you!

In terms of connecting with my fellow peers, how many students are in the MPH program each year? Do you know if there is a website/facebook group/forum that I can join to connect with fellow classmates, past students, etc.? I'm moving from Victoria BC to Newfoundland in a month and I just wanted to try and get as involved and connected within that community as possible.

In terms of courses, I'm really interested in chronic illness, pharmacoepidemiology, and health care reform in Canada. Any electives that you would suggest looking at, even ones that are outside the Pop/Public Health Division?

The ones I'm thinking of are:

MED6274 - Chronic Disease Epidemiology 

Designed for graduate students in community health and those interested in chronic disease epidemiology, this course provides a good opportunity for students to broaden their understanding on major chronic diseases in Canada in terms of the determinants, impact and disease control. It emphasizes the research aspects of chronic diseases epidemiology and how the basic techniques of epidemiology and biostatistics are applied in the chronic diseases.   

and 

MED6276 - Current Topics in Canada's Health Care System 

This course examines the organization and delivery of health care in Canada and explores current debates about the provision and funding of health services. Students will compare Canada’s health care system to other health systems and gather evidence to explore and understand current issues in health policy.

What are the more challenging classes? Anything I can prepare myself for in advance (via online MOOCs, readings, etc.)?

Any other useful suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm not entirely sure what to expect, so I'm trying to do some volunteer-policy research/writing this summer with a non-profit community health organization that my friend is the advocacy lead for. Any suggestions for readings (academic or non-academic; direct or indirect relation to classwork) I can do in advance? I've read a few papers on SDOH, and I actively follow public health news and academic publications on a daily basis. 

Thank you!

Lance

Hey!

So the class size typically varies year to year but it's about 20 or so give or take. There are also a few students that typically complete the courses via distance so they will also be part of your seminar courses. 

A Facebook group is typically created once the class begins (in my year anyway) but there is a Medical Graduate Student Society that is for graduate students at MUN- they post info on talks, events and intramural sports. Certainly join that if you are interested!

In terms of electives, I completed the Chronic Disease Epi course which I loved. However, it is not always offered as not a lot of student sign up for it (3 people in my class). Keep in mind you can take any course in the faculty as well (ie. ethics, cancer development, etc.) you just need permission from the professor. There is also a directed readings course which could be compared to a smaller thesis type course. You work closely with a professor on a selected topic and conduct a literature review/paper. Great way to build a relationship with a professor!

Writing briefing notes was a big thing my year (which I had no experience in) so perhaps familiarize yourself in prepping those. You sound like you have a great grasp on public health already so you will do fine!

Good luck! 

• 1 month later...

Archived