Premed 101 Forums

3MT ( 3 Minute Thesis ) Winners

End Poverty

I am really interested in participating in the 3 minute thesis (3MT) contest at the University of Calgary because I think it will be really cool to present my research to large audiences and talk about the impact of my research, however, I feel that I may be nervous when presenting my research to a lot of people that I don't know ( it will be something that I have never done before :/). For people who won the contest at U of C or other schools, how did you practice your presentation skills?   I know that the University of Calgary is holding workshops for 3MT, but I feel that they are held too late in the game. 

I am really confident in the stories that I will be presenting, however, I really want to work on my public speaking and presentation skills.  Are there things that you did that were helpful? I am obviously going to memorize my presentation, but I want to make sure that my presentation is going to be VERY impactful and I know that presentation skills are crucial and it is something that I should work on.

How did you work on your presentation skills?  I know I still have a VERY long time but I have more times on my hand right now and I really want to work on my presentation skills before I get really busy again in few months. 

I tend to have a lot of bad public speaking habits that I need to eliminate ( aka nervousness) when speaking to a room full of strangers. 

Archived