Premed 101 Forums

Ridiculous elective schedule

Heading into clerkship, my schedule has 13 weeks straight of electives between years 3 and 4. Any tips or strategies to make the most out of this? Initially, it seemed like a solid schedule but many older students say that it is difficult to schedule and arrange electives (esp. around Canada) with all electives at one time. 

I'm aiming for PHPM and/or FM right now. I'll already have 10 months of rural clerkship in 3rd year so I thought that will help with FM a lot. I'll also be doing 2 weeks of PHPM this summer.

My elective plans:

• 3 electives in PHPM 
  • 1 elective in FM (but special populations like inner city or prison)
  • 1 elective for ID or Peds ID
  • Maybe 1 in occupational medicine

I'm more concerned with how people have managed to work through the portal or strategies to help in general when having so many electives in a row. Since I'm in Alberta, my plan was to do 1 in BC, 1 in AB, then go out east for the rest so it's easier to commute around than going back and forth around the country. 

If you're willing to spend the money, you can send several applications for each set of dates. Make sure to indicate alternative specialities or dates available in the comments section. Apply right when the Portal opens to maximize getting your top choices.

If you don't want to spend money sending several applications, be flexible with your time and speciality. Make sure to update the dates on your other elective requests as soon as you confirm one set of electives. I was able to book 8 weeks of elective straight at 4 different locations all in my top 3 choices of rotations this way

Archived