Premed 101 Forums

2017/18 Application Cycle: Addition to Interview

Hi all,

Just looking through the MUN website in anticipation for the upcoming application cycle and a few changes I have noticed:

1) They have updated their avg. MCAT scores of accepted applicants to be 127 in each section for the new MCAT (although they are still considering the old MCAT as well).

2) It seems they have removed the stipulation that OOP would be subjected to minimum GPA and MCAT cut off for file review (I could not find the usual stipulation of this anywhere anymore). It looks as though OOP will now also have a holistic file review.

3) During the interview, applicants will now also complete a written Situational Judgment Test during the TaMMI.

http://www.med.mun.ca/Admissions/ApplicationEvaluationCompetitions.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2017 at 3:24 PM, Dr.Doc said:

Hi all,

Just looking through the MUN website in anticipation for the upcoming application cycle and a few changes I have noticed:

1) They have updated their avg. MCAT scores of accepted applicants to be 127 in each section for the new MCAT (although they are still considering the old MCAT as well).

2) It seems they have removed the stipulation that OOP would be subjected to minimum GPA and MCAT cut off for file review (I could not find the usual stipulation of this anywhere anymore). It looks as though OOP will now also have a holistic file review.

3) During the interview, applicants will now also complete a written Situational Judgment Test during the TaMMI.

http://www.med.mun.ca/Admissions/ApplicationEvaluationCompetitions.aspx

I phoned admissions and was told that OOP applicants are still assessed solely on GPA and MCAT scores, and that only after the interview the holistic process is factored in. Can someone else confirm?

After the removal of the "We do not have a minimum cumulative GPA or MCAT scores (except for the Other Canadian Provinces/Non-Canadian competition)" in the Application Evaluation section and FAQs to be solely "We do not have a minimum cumulative GPA or MCAT scores" it was thought that perhaps they would be conducting a holistic review on each applicant- my apologies! Guess they are just not being transparent any longer for OOP applicants.

44 minutes ago, Dr.Doc said:

After the removal of the "We do not have a minimum cumulative GPA or MCAT scores (except for the Other Canadian Provinces/Non-Canadian competition)" in the Application Evaluation section and FAQs to be solely "We do not have a minimum cumulative GPA or MCAT scores" it was thought that perhaps they would be conducting a holistic review on each applicant- my apologies! Guess they are just not being transparent any longer for OOP applicants.

Yeah from the website it is implied that OOP would still be reviewed holistically. When I tried to explain the changes on the website, I was told that it didn't make sense for them to review 350 applications for 5 spots. But maybe I just didn't communicate myself well enough, would appreciate it if anyone else could confirm. 

Archived