Premed 101 Forums

Changes to UGME at Mac and Residency Match

Just wondering what everyone thought of the presentation by Dean White about the upcoming changes at Mac related to UGME and the Match.

Basically the message I got is that medical school enrollment has outpaced the number of residency spots.  Hence there are talks about slashing the number of spots at medical schools.

Some of the data presented included that around 6.5% of CMGs went unmatched and that internal medicine and family medicine have both gotten significantly more competitive!

2 hours ago, Jess85 said:

Just wondering what everyone thought of the presentation by Dean White about the upcoming changes at Mac related to UGME and the Match.

Basically the message I got is that medical school enrollment has outpaced the number of residency spots.  Hence there are talks about slashing the number of spots at medical schools.

Some of the data presented included that around 6.5% of CMGs went unmatched and that internal medicine and family medicine have both gotten significantly more competitive!

Didn't they recently increase the number IMG residency positions? It would be sad to have to decrease the number of CMGs simply because there was in an increase in IMG positions.

4 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

Didn't they recently increase the number IMG residency positions? It would be sad to have to decrease the number of CMGs simply because there was in an increase in IMG positions.

According to what we were told, the number of residency spots for CARMS has been relatively constant compared to the number of medical school spots which has increased significantly.  Therefore, the plan was not to increase the number of residency spots (maybe no funding?) and instead slash the number of first year entrance spots to medical school ... bummer I know.

Just now, s2MD said:

According to what we were told, the number of residency spots for CARMS has been relatively constant compared to the number of medical school spots which has increased significantly.  Therefore, the plan was not to increase the number of residency spots (maybe no funding?) and instead slash the number of first year entrance spots to medical school ... bummer I know.

So why exactly have they been increasing the number of med school spots? I have a feeling this also has to do with the continual decrease in funding allocated to medicine by the government.

23 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

So why exactly have they been increasing the number of med school spots? I have a feeling this also has to do with the continual decrease in funding allocated to medicine by the government.

My guess is many years ago, the Deans decided that it would help alleviate the shortage in primary care physicians?

On 6/26/2017 at 3:12 PM, Neurophilic said:

They decreased IMG positions this year. Ontario cut I believe 25 CMG spots last year and 25 IMG spots this year. 

On 6/26/2017 at 3:18 PM, s2MD said:

From what I understand the government is hoping to achieve a close to 1:1 ratio of medical school spots to residency spots. The issue is that, not everyone wants to go to all locations and not every residency program will take anyone. As a result, more and more are going unmatched. 

I think significantly more incentives should be given to encourage people to practice in undesirable areas of the country. In the states for example, supply and demand ends up resulting in often doubled salaries for doctors working in more rural or undesirable areas of the country vs areas like NYC. I'm not saying we need that here, but as it stands, it just results in unhappy doctors who are going there, often forced. Its not good for us as medical students for sure, but its also not good for patients and the profession as a whole. Sure there may be warm bodies there, but doctors who are itching to leave are probably not the best long term for patients. 

On 6/26/2017 at 2:49 PM, s2MD said:

It looks like this is all because of the 8% unmatched rate at Mac this year.  :(

Does anyone know the unmatched rate of other Ontario schools this year? Or where to find this information? 

6 hours ago, yup said:

Yes thank you! That's what I was looking for :) Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Mac had about a 10% unmatched rate this year?

Yeah, looks like it, 21/205 unmatched. That Queen's match rate though, only 2/103 unmatched, less than 2%! Not sure if this includes the second round though.

its 8% if you only consider 2017 graduates and not the previous years as well. regardless pretty rough year for Mac, although the 2016 unmatch rate was 2% i believe for 2016 grads, so it fluctuates year to year and not something to worry too much over.

Archived