Premed 101 Forums

Anybody Accepted/Interview at Top 30 MD?

Just wondering if any Canadians have been accepted/or even interviewed at any top 30 USMD schools in the last cycles???

If so, what was your GPA/MCAT and ECs like?  And your experience interviewing? 

Any reply would be really appreciated..please give me hope lol!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Hey Van,

I got accepted to Case Western Reserve University this past cycle (ranked 25th on the US News list, if I'm not mistaken). I'll preface my stats/profile by saying CWRU no longer accepts international students for the University Program (the standard, 4-year MD) as of next year, but you can still apply to the College program (MD with a heavier research component + mandatory master's level thesis project). Details to that here: http://portals.clevelandclinic.org/Admissions/tabid/7093/lcm2/Academics/tabid/7091/Default.aspx

Moving on...

AMCAS cGPA (note: I went to University of Western Ontario, so my GPA conversion reflects that): 3.93

sGPA: 3.89

MCAT (written July 2013): 12 PS / 10 VR / 12 BS

Extracurriculars:

- 2 years full-time employment at an IT research and advisory firm in Toronto

- Started a Terry Fox run-related initiative at UWO (personally ran 300km in 36 days, raised $1800)

- 4 week preventive medicine and primary care observership in Nigeria

- 3 years of volunteering as a orientation leader/mentor to first year science students (2 years as a general member directly assigned to 10-20 students for the year; 1 year as the head of the team responsible for team selections, event planning, team management, etc. etc)

- 1 year as faculty representative on UWO Orientation Planning Committee

- 30 hours of shadowing in a critical care unit in Mississauga

- 150 hours of volunteering as a tutor at the Boys and Girls Club of London

- Acted as a standardized patient for Schulich Med's point of care ultrasound symposium for two years

-Veterinary assistant+ social media manager at a Toronto veterinary clinic

Just now, DrHueyFreeman said:

Hey Van,

I got accepted to Case Western Reserve University this past cycle (ranked 25th on the US News list, if I'm not mistaken). I'll preface my stats/profile by saying CWRU no longer accepts international students for the University Program (the standard, 4-year MD) as of next year, but you can still apply to the College program (MD with a heavier research component + mandatory master's level thesis project). Details to that here: http://portals.clevelandclinic.org/Admissions/tabid/7093/lcm2/Academics/tabid/7091/Default.aspx

Moving on...

AMCAS cGPA (note: I went to University of Western Ontario, so my GPA conversion reflects that): 3.93

sGPA: 3.89

MCAT (written July 2013): 12 PS / 10 VR / 12 BS

Extracurriculars:

- 2 years full-time employment at an IT research and advisory firm in Toronto

- Started a Terry Fox run-related initiative at UWO (personally ran 300km in 36 days, raised $1800)

- 4 week preventive medicine and primary care observership in Nigeria

- 3 years of volunteering as a orientation leader/mentor to first year science students (2 years as a general member directly assigned to 10-20 students for the year; 1 year as the head of the team responsible for team selections, event planning, team management, etc. etc)

- 1 year as faculty representative on UWO Orientation Planning Committee

- 30 hours of shadowing in a critical care unit in Mississauga

- 150 hours of volunteering as a tutor at the Boys and Girls Club of London

- Acted as a standardized patient for Schulich Med's point of care ultrasound symposium for two years

-Veterinary assistant+ social media manager at a Toronto veterinary clinic

Let me know if you'd still like me to elaborate on the interview experience, or parts of my profile!

4 hours ago, DrHueyFreeman said:

Let me know if you'd still like me to elaborate on the interview experience, or parts of my profile!

Hi! Thank you so much for responding! I really really appreciate you writing this! It was super super helpful!!! Thanks so much for the info!! 

How did you find the interviews? Did they focus a lot on your extra curriculars or more on your personal qualities? 

Once again, Thank you so much!!!

On 6/30/2017 at 0:30 AM, vanxcity said:

Hi! Thank you so much for responding! I really really appreciate you writing this! It was super super helpful!!! Thanks so much for the info!! 

How did you find the interviews? Did they focus a lot on your extra curriculars or more on your personal qualities? 

Once again, Thank you so much!!!

So for starters, some schools do panel interviews, one-on-one interviews, or the MMI. I think most schools say what method they use on their website.

Case Western did two one-on-one interviews, one with a faculty member and one with a current student. Each had access to different parts of the application (faculty member can see your ECs, AMCAS profile, secondary essays; student can only see your personal statement I believe). The interviews were very relaxed I found, and talked an equal amount about ECs and personality traits. The faculty member asked me some questions about why I wanted to come to the US as a Canadian, so that was probably unique to my interview. They both asked about healthcare experiences as I mentioned those in multiple sections of my application.

The interview at SUNY Upstate was MMI of about 9 stations, so the experience was pretty varied. There was one role-play scenario (not very intense, no distressed patient or anything like that), a couple stations where you typed out a response to a prompt, and the rest were one-on-ones with faculty or students asking a question.

Overall, I enjoyed both interviews and they were much more relaxed than I thought they would be. 

Hope this helps!

Archived