Premed 101 Forums

Hi, 

I have some quick questions :

Can you practice medicine after getting your MDCM degree ? What is the equivalent of the Med-P program at McGill in other universities? 

I was also wondering if it was better for example to do a Bachelor's degree in chemistry at McGill then transfer to UofT (or any other university) for med school, instead of doing Med-P at McGill and residency in another school. 

Also do you have to take.the MCAT at one point in the Med-P program? It's just that I don't understand the use of not doing it ; if you transfer to any other university, they will want the MCAT score so.. I don't know if the Med-P program prepares you well for the MCAT.

Sorry if this isn't making sense. I can't seem to grasp the concept of a Med-P program. It's preparatory for what ? What can you do with a MDCM degree? Is med P med school or undergraduate? 

Please lighten me up, thank you.

P.-S.: I have read everything on the internet about the program and I still don't understand it.. sigh.

Hi,

The Med-P stream is open to CEGEP applicants. For one year, Med-P students take regular undergraduate courses (like Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, etc), after which they are automatically transferred to the MDCM program in the first year. The medical degree at McGill takes four years to complete for someone with an undergraduate degree. If you get in to McGill Med from CEGEP, it will take you 5 years, in which the additional year is the Med-P year. Med-P is therefore preparatory for medical school.

You do not have to take the MCAT. Med-Ps go through the same application and interview as their undergraduate counterparts. They are med students. Hope it's a bit clearer!

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/programs/med-p

"The Med-P (preparatory program) is open to immediate graduates of the Quebec Collegial (CEGEP) system. The Med-P combines a preparatory year in the Faculty of Science followed by the Faculty of Medicine's four-year M.D.,C.M. program."

Archived