Premed 101 Forums

Pros and cons of going out of province for PT

Hi all, 

When I'm in fourth year I will probably be applying to PT at UBC (first choice, because I live in BC), UToronto, Western, and MacMaster. I am wondering what are the pros and cons of UBC's MPT program compared to those I'm applying for in the east coast. I see many comparisons between the PT schools in the east (Mac vs UWO vs UT vs Queens etc) but haven't really seen any comparing west coast PT schools like UBC or UofA against them.

If I would rather settle down here in Vancouver and don't get into UBC PT for example, is it worth it to choose an Ontario based school (assuming I get into at least one of them) and create my network doing placements in Ontario instead of applying again in the following years at UBC so I can create my network doing placements in the place I actually want to live in long term (even if it will take longer)? Or will going to an Ontario PT school not affect my job prospects in BC? 

Thanks in advance!

Just try to get some out-of-province placements, if you can. The job market is good enough, you shouldn't have a problem finding work afterwords. But a professional network developed during school definitely helps! I went to McMaster, and had a few classmates from BC. They all found the type of job the wanted in BC after graduating. 

Archived