Premed 101 Forums

How do you work on developing your communication skills?

Communication skills are developed quite simply by your life experiences. If you worked in customer service dealing with extremely unhappy customers, you learn tact, diplomacy, not to make anything personally, how to reflect what the other person is saying (thereby demonstrating understanding) and resolving the problem to the satisfaction of all.

When I did the MMI, my approach was not to practice and to rely upon my life experiences which included having been in numerous difficult situations and I felt that no matter what they threw at me, I had been through worse and therefore, I was confident that I would maintain my composure, remain calm and give a reasoned, thoughtful response covering all bases. Take a look at future_doc's pinned thread in the Medical School Interview Forum that is very comprehensive if you take the time to read it thoroughly.

you can practice with Trustee persons who will give you honest feedback while videoing your response to see yourself, your mannerisms, your detailed answers and this may prove helpful to you. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2017 at 4:28 PM, Bambi PGY3 said:

Communication skills are developed quite simply by your life experiences. If you worked in customer service dealing with extremely unhappy customers, you learn tact, diplomacy, not to make anything personally, how to reflect what the other person is saying (thereby demonstrating understanding) and resolving the problem to the satisfaction of all.

When I did the MMI, my approach was not to practice and to rely upon my life experiences which included having been in numerous difficult situations and I felt that no matter what they threw at me, I had been through worse and therefore, I was confident that I would maintain my composure, remain calm and give a reasoned, thoughtful response covering all bases. Take a look at future_doc's pinned thread in the Medical School Interview Forum that is very comprehensive if you take the time to read it thoroughly.

you can practice with Trustee persons who will give you honest feedback while videoing your response to see yourself, your mannerisms, your detailed answers and this may prove helpful to you. 

Like the idea of videoing yourself - really great to pick up on the non-verbals especially

Archived