Premed 101 Forums

Hi all, I'm not sure if there are any practicing PTs on this subforum or if its just mainly students aspiring to become one, but recently i've been contemplating switching gears to becoming a PT after I realized that having more emphasis on family life and raising children in the future is going to be a greater priority than my original pursuit of becoming a doctor.

I'm shadowing a PT in a couple weeks and will be asking him questions but just to get a primer, what do you guys know about the feasibility of being a PT and family? And are PT's relatively well compensated? I've heard in the ballpark of 60-80k but I don't know if this is accurate anymore in recent years.

Practicing PT here (Ontario)

I'm not really sure what you mean by the feasibility of being a PT and having a family? Most PTs have families and still work full-time or part-time depending on financial situation at home or family/partner situation. Right out of school I was making $73,000/year, but it all depends on geographic location (rural vs city), practice area, and practice setting. I would say the range in pay when first starting is $65,000 - $75,000. This is only part of the picture though, you also have to consider paid vacation time, benefits, mentorship, education allowance, etc. Hours are pretty standard, most clinics are open 8-7 M-F, some are open on Saturday. Most PTs work 8 hour days. Expect to work some nights, maybe some weekends, especially when first starting out. 

Over the next few years, pay should go up every year with education, case-load, experience, etc. In hospitals you peak at around $90,000, unless you get into a management position, in which case your pay can be $100,000+. In private practice, you can peak at $90-100,000/year, unless you go off on your own and open your own clinic, which is risky, but your earning potential can vary from $250,000 to $1,000,000+/year depending on the number of people working for you, geographic location, referral sources, etc. This is before overhead costs. 

Archived