Premed 101 Forums

How is the Average AQ (/50*) Determined?

1 hour ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

1.57907*(GPA) - 111.0834 = approximate AQ score for the 2017/2017 application cycle. The formula for the 2015/2016 cycle was very similar so it doesn't seem to change too much from year to year. 

So if you have a 100% you still only get a ~46.8. 

I wish they had just scaled the GPA out of 50 so that and 80 would be a 40/50 haha. 

1 hour ago, mollypercocet said:

So if you have a 100% you still only get a ~46.8. 

I wish they had just scaled the GPA out of 50 so that and 80 would be a 40/50 haha. 

The formula works best the closer you are to the median, so outliers (low GPA and high GPA) don't follow the liner equation I think, which is why you won't get a 50AQ with 100%.

On 2017-07-10 at 6:24 AM, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Given what I've seen I'll estimate low 20s

You can check other's posts in the accepted/interviewed/rejected list. I'm sure someone also has a 83% and received a AQ score. 

As mentioned, it varies every year depending on the applicant pool, but I agree with clever_smart_boy_like_me that it'll be in the low 20s.

May as well assume it's a 20 or lower so you work extra hard on your app and your EC's, right? :P

On 2017-07-09 at 9:40 PM, TARS said:

The formula works best the closer you are to the median, so outliers (low GPA and high GPA) don't follow the liner equation I think, which is why you won't get a 50AQ with 100%.

Not sure what you mean by this. The equation is a linear one (y = mx + b): As your grade increases, your AQ would increase linearly based on that equation (i.e. y= 1.57907x - 111.0834).

20 hours ago, Pterygoid said:

Not sure what you mean by this. The equation is a linear one (y = mx + b): As your grade increases, your AQ would increase linearly based on that equation (i.e. y= 1.57907x - 111.0834).

I've heard anecdotes that really higher GPA and/or really low GPA dont work with the linear equation. For example, if you follow the equation, even with 100% as your GPA you only get about 46 AQ, not 50.  I don't know though, and I don't think it really matters.

Also keep in mind that if your gpa stays the same throughout cycles, your AQ score will lower over time, due to the changing (read: more competitive) applicant pool and resulting equation. So consistently working on your NAQ (if you're not taking classes) is important. This doesn't affect everyone, but is key for those with borderline gpas. 

Archived