Premed 101 Forums

How To Pick Electives at UofT?

Hi Everyone,

Since U of T allows/encourages you to contact preceptors and set up electives on your own before applying through the portal, what is the best way to go about this? Does it matter whether you do the same elective at Mt. Sinai, Sunnybrook, St. Mike's, or North York General? What about SickKids? 

Any insight from Toronto students or those who have done electives in Toronto is appreciated!

2 hours ago, mononoke said:

Hey I'm not sure where you heard this from, but it's highly discouraged and can get you a professionalism lapse to bypass the portal. It's essentially taking a spot away from someone who is applying when the elective opens 

Hey mononoke, I am pretty sure that UofT allows you to contact the preceptors prior to the portal opens up. I applied for 2 electives last year, and contacted the preceptors way before the portal allows me (7 months). I just indicated in my application that Dr X approved my elective already, and the preceptor's contact information.

It is written in UofT portal page, and they allow students to contact preceptors prior to the portal. IF you think about it, it saves everyone troubles and time!

The elective coordinator, Ms Sheila Binns is super helpful. They are used to see students arrange and get their electives confirmed prior to the AFMC portal opens up. No worries!

15 hours ago, LittleDaisy said:

Hey mononoke, I am pretty sure that UofT allows you to contact the preceptors prior to the portal opens up. I applied for 2 electives last year, and contacted the preceptors way before the portal allows me (7 months). I just indicated in my application that Dr X approved my elective already, and the preceptor's contact information.

It is written in UofT portal page, and they allow students to contact preceptors prior to the portal. IF you think about it, it saves everyone troubles and time!

The elective coordinator, Ms Sheila Binns is super helpful. They are used to see students arrange and get their electives confirmed prior to the AFMC portal opens up. No worries!

I guess if it's written on the portal then maybe it's not a problem, I just remember we were told to be careful about bypassing the portal to avoid getting flagged...

Archived