Premed 101 Forums

Housing: Is 25-30 Minutes Walk Too Far from MSB? (But Only 7 Min from St. Mike's!)

Hi, so I'm currently looking for a place to stay, and one of the best places I came across (in terms of affordability, living space, etc.) is a 25-minute walk from MSB (but on the flipside, it's only a 7 minute walk from St. Mike's! :)). Would that trade-off be worth it when clinical years come around, or do you think this is too far to consider? I've heard that it can be very draining to have long-ish travel times. In winter I worry that it might be even longer! 

Any input would be appreciated. :)

EDIT: it's on Dundas St E, and according to the listing there's a streetcar stop right at the door

I walk 25 minutes to MSB and it's not too bad! Even in the winter. Subway is about the same so if it is really cold I ride TTC. I decided it was worth it for me because I could save ~$500/month compared to places 10 minutes closer.

I don't know if you're around the city or not, but I would recommend taking a look around the area at night. East of Yonge some parts of Dundas are a little sketchy and not somewhere I would want to be walking home late (but YMMV). The Dundas streetcar will also only get you to University and Dundas, which is still a 7ish min walk to MSB. There are some nice cheaper places in the Annex or Harbord/Spadina area, but that would be a 25 min walk to MSB (10 min bike) and you would need to TTC to St. Mike's. Also don't forget to make sure the amount of rent you're saving isn't offset by needing to buy a metropass!

Archived