Jump to content
OMSAS deadline Read more... ×
Premed 101 Forums
iFlayx

Will MCAT cutoffs change?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Monocyte said:

I expect CARS score requirements to drop, maybe to ~128. 

I say this for now, however, in the future I see them following a UoT style selection with very modest MCAT cutoffs, a higher GPA cutoff, and a stronger focus on ECs. 

If they're unhappy like the other poster said, it means the current selection criteria they feel is failing them. Rightfully so, tbh. While I admire Western for their unambiguous selection process, standardized tests are not the best predictor of success in med school (as has been shown for a while now). 

Why not just compare everyone's family wealth and just accept the top 200 bank accounts then? Western has a relatively objective admission criteria so what you're describing here won't happen unless they have a significant change in their admission philosophy. 

 

Nothing is more disqualifying to a quantitative admission process than some stupid subjective admission criteria. Focusing heavily on the MCAT atleast gives the poor some chance to be represented in medicine, even though the wealthy still have an advantage in either case, just not as much as an advantage currently. 

 

To OP: I don't think cutoffs are likely to change unless there is a significant shift in the applicant pool quality this year. I don't think any P/S cutoff they introduce will move the other cutoffs that much, because everyone who meets a 129 and 128 in CARS and B/B, respectively, is likely to have a fairly high score in P/S already. 

If anything it might change the number of qualified SWOMEN. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tavenan said:

Why not just compare everyone's family wealth and just accept the top 200 bank accounts then? Western has a relatively objective admission criteria so what you're describing here won't happen unless they have a significant change in their admission philosophy. 

 

Nothing is more disqualifying to a quantitative admission process than some stupid subjective admission criteria. Focusing heavily on the MCAT atleast gives the poor some chance to be represented in medicine, even though the wealthy still have an advantage in either case, just not as much as an advantage currently. 

 

To OP: I don't think cutoffs are likely to change unless there is a significant shift in the applicant pool quality this year. I don't think any P/S cutoff they introduce will move the other cutoffs that much, because everyone who meets a 129 and 128 in CARS and B/B, respectively, is likely to have a fairly high score in P/S already. 

If anything it might change the number of qualified SWOMEN. 

 

Trust me, I agree with you. However, the current application process is a major departure from what they used to do indicating a significant change in their admission philosophy. To go from zero requirements for ECs pre-interview, to an entire document with 8 essays + a 'personal statement' style essay with emphasis on higher diversity in activities for a higher score (which in itself is a bit strange to me, if you are committed to serving a certain group and have become involved in multiple different activities with the same purpose, that's going to look less favourable than a person who has other experiences simply because they did more) is evidence of this. 

In no way am I benefitting at all from this change. I had to choose paid employment throughout my university career versus volunteer, so therefore those experiences like 'helping kids in a 3rd world country where I was exposed to a lot of diversity' are definitely absent from my application. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Monocyte said:

Trust me, I agree with you. However, the current application process is a major departure from what they used to do indicating a significant change in their admission philosophy. To go from zero requirements for ECs pre-interview, to an entire document with 8 essays + a 'personal statement' style essay with emphasis on higher diversity in activities for a higher score (which in itself is a bit strange to me, if you are committed to serving a certain group and have become involved in multiple different activities with the same purpose, that's going to look less favourable than a person who has other experiences simply because they did more) is evidence of this. 

In no way am I benefitting at all from this change. I had to choose paid employment throughout my university career versus volunteer, so therefore those experiences like 'helping kids in a 3rd world country where I was exposed to a lot of diversity' are definitely absent from my application. 

I actually haven't looked at this year's application layout yet. I knew they introduced an ABS, but jeez, 8 essays? Wtf. 

 

I'm glad I got in when I did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tavenan said:

 

If anything it might change the number of qualified SWOMEN. 

 

That's really what I'm gambling on , because tbh I think this year's essay is experimental.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tavenan said:

I actually haven't looked at this year's application layout yet. I knew they introduced an ABS, but jeez, 8 essays? Wtf. 

 

I'm glad I got in when I did. 

Ha, always start early - with everything. same later on with CARMS and fellowship apps :) Which you are, so you have time. 

Edited by rmorelan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2018 at 9:46 PM, tavenan said:

Nothing is more disqualifying to a quantitative admission process than some stupid subjective admission criteria. Focusing heavily on the MCAT atleast gives the poor some chance to be represented in medicine, even though the wealthy still have an advantage in either case, just not as much as an advantage currently. 

Even though my MCAT is terrible I absolutely agree with you, especially the statement that subjective criteria puts the poor at a greater disadvantage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fakecop said:

Even though my MCAT is terrible I absolutely agree with you, especially the statement that subjective criteria puts the poor at a greater disadvantage. 

I also agree with this, I'd rather see a change in cut-offs (psych lol), as long as they remain objective like they currently are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, I just read on MCAT reddit, someone said that Schulich is looking at psych for this cycle? How does this person know, or are they just speculating? 

Has anyone called admissions committee to ask if they will include psych this year? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, T-cell said:

Hi all, I just read on MCAT reddit, someone said that Schulich is looking at psych for this cycle? How does this person know, or are they just speculating? 

Has anyone called admissions committee to ask if they will include psych this year? 

There's no way they could know. I don't even think admission knows yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, T-cell said:

Hi all, I just read on MCAT reddit, someone said that Schulich is looking at psych for this cycle? How does this person know, or are they just speculating? 

Has anyone called admissions committee to ask if they will include psych this year? 

 

1 hour ago, Abramula said:

There's no way they could know. I don't even think admission knows yet.

I actually just got an email response from admissions earlier this week regarding this, and I quote:

"We are unlikely to use that section of the MCAT this year as there has not been enough research to date as to its impact."

Take that as you will =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChasingZebras said:

 

I actually just got an email response from admissions earlier this week regarding this, and I quote:

"We are unlikely to use that section of the MCAT this year as there has not been enough research to date as to its impact."

Take that as you will =)

That's wild, I e-mailed them earlier this week and they said they didn't have an answer to that, guess they just don't like me =( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Abramula said:

That's wild, I e-mailed them earlier this week and they said they didn't have an answer to that, guess they just don't like me =( 

Lol, perhaps it just depends on the individual that responds back - and if they're feeling generous enough at the time to throw you a bone ;)

And to be fair, personal biases against the section aside, there really is not enough data to show how relevant it is to determining success in medicine (i.e. like the holy grail that is CARS). And as many others have mentioned, it's unlikely to impact the applicant pool as those who are already at the high CARS cutoff likely have a high psych score as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you folks think it's worth applying (as an out of region applicant) with a 127 in CARS? Other than that my MCAT is a 521, my GPA is 3.973 and my ECs are above average. Any honest insight would be greatly appreciated before I spend hours writing their 8 essay document!! Thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×