Premed 101 Forums

Confusing about UBC interview

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but what form is UBC's interview in? I read on the website that students are required to take the CASPer exam, is this the actual interview or do we have another MMI after it?

Also, is extracurricular activities not weighted at all for ubc dentistry? D: 

thank you in advance

6 hours ago, premedschool said:

I believe CASPer is a new exam for UBC Dentistry, and it is required for this year I believe. On top of that, there is MMI.

Extracurricular activities are not required at all, but for your interview, those experiences would support your qualification.

I actually experienced the MMI at UBC already and there isn't much room in it where you get to talk about your extracurriculars D: its mostly answering questions

Thank you :3

So the UBC dent interview would consist of the PBL + CASper + MMI? oh man...

From what I read, it seems the application process is this:

Phase 1 --> GPA, DAT, CASPer (if your composite scores are past a threshold, you are invited to Phase 2. Don't listen to people who say DAT/GPA are equal weight, UBC adcoms keep the ratios strictly confidential)
Phase 2 --> PBL, MMI (again, we don't know how they weigh each, and they don't publish the scores)
Phase 3 --> dental school!

Extracurriculars are not required at all, although I hear rumours that they may require dental shadowing in the future (Western Ontario already has an optional section on their application for dental shadowing). Best of luck, and feel free to PM me :)

UBC DMD 2021

7 hours ago, kl88 said:

From what I read, it seems the application process is this:

Phase 1 --> GPA, DAT, CASPer (if your composite scores are past a threshold, you are invited to Phase 2. Don't listen to people who say DAT/GPA are equal weight, UBC adcoms keep the ratios strictly confidential)
Phase 2 --> PBL, MMI (again, we don't know how they weigh each, and they don't publish the scores)
Phase 3 --> dental school!

Extracurriculars are not required at all, although I hear rumours that they may require dental shadowing in the future (Western Ontario already has an optional section on their application for dental shadowing). Best of luck, and feel free to PM me :)

UBC DMD 2021

Thank you very much!

• 3 weeks later...

It seems CASPer & MMI are the new normal as adcoms try to zoom in on ethical, quick, critical thinking, analysis & problem solving with excellent communication skills. Intelligence and academic achievement is taken as a given. This is not harder, just different than in the past.

Archived