Premed 101 Forums

Is it worth it to apply to McGill as an OOP

Hey everyone!

I'm currently choosing which schools I would like to apply to, and while Montreal and McGill would be a dream come true, I am a little (a lot) discouraged by stats concerning OOPs. From your point of view, would it be worth it to spend the time and money applying? Why or why not?

Thanks for helping me make my decision!

58 minutes ago, toomuchcoffee said:

Hey everyone!

I'm currently choosing which schools I would like to apply to, and while Montreal and McGill would be a dream come true, I am a little (a lot) discouraged by stats concerning OOPs. From your point of view, would it be worth it to spend the time and money applying? Why or why not?

Thanks for helping me make my decision!

Hi toomuchcoffee - I had the same thoughts when I applied, it was very discouraging to see those stats, but on the other hand, you lose 100% of the opportunities you don't take. In the latest admission cycle (2016/2017), there were 782 OOP applicants, and they only take a maximum of 10. That's a 1.3% success rate. But! If you have a strong GPA, and you are able to convey a strong message in your CV/PN, then you have a shot at the interview. 

However, before applying, I would really look at the admission stats https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/after-youve-applied/applicantstats2017 and see whether it will be competitive. Those who got invited to the MMIs this year had an average GPA of 3.95 and a mode of 4.00. So I agree with Meridian, I would think that a GPA of 3.95+ would be considered competitive. 

I am OOP as well, so DM me if you any specific questions since I just went through this last cycle.

Keep in mind, McGill takes into consideration academic context in their assessment. Academics are 70% of your pre-interview score and context makes up 10% of that academic score, meaning that context is a whopping 7% of your file score!

This past cycle, I applied to McGill with a 3.98 GPA yet due to having a not so strong academic context, I was ranked around 150/700 for academics (they disclose this if you email them asking for your rank).  

I'm not exactly sure how they score context but it seems having a graduate degree or taking hard humanities classes helps. If you think your coursework has been difficult, I would definitely apply because you might have a really strong context score! 

On 7/15/2017 at 8:28 PM, Cashews said:

Keep in mind, McGill takes into consideration academic context in their assessment. Academics are 70% of your pre-interview score and context makes up 10% of that academic score, meaning that context is a whopping 7% of your file score!

This past cycle, I applied to McGill with a 3.98 GPA yet due to having a not so strong academic context, I was ranked around 150/700 for academics (they disclose this if you email them asking for your rank).  

I'm not exactly sure how they score context but it seems having a graduate degree or taking hard humanities classes helps. If you think your coursework has been difficult, I would definitely apply because you might have a really strong context score! 

Thanks so much for your response! So context involves things like level of difficulty? I have been lucky enough to score a perfect GPA in an honours program with what I would consider some pretty hard classes (4th year research thesis courses that I took a year early, etc). Im just wondering how they would know which courses are hard and which are not? I mean since there are so many courses, and since I am not applying from McGill, how would they even know!

4 hours ago, toomuchcoffee said:

Thanks so much for your response! So context involves things like level of difficulty? I have been lucky enough to score a perfect GPA in an honours program with what I would consider some pretty hard classes (4th year research thesis courses that I took a year early, etc). Im just wondering how they would know which courses are hard and which are not? I mean since there are so many courses, and since I am not applying from McGill, how would they even know!

They don't, really. They simply consider whether or not you respected the "level" you're supposed to be at in each year (eg: in a 4 year undergrad, taking 100 level courses in first year, 200 level courses in second year, 300 in 3rd, and so on). They also look at whether or not you've taken the recommended anatomy and physiology, cell biology, biochemistry, etc.

5 hours ago, toomuchcoffee said:

"The assessment of an applicant's academic context consists of (a) the progression of difficulty of coursework, (b) post-bachelor's academics and (c) the recognition of professional degree programs (i.e.: programs that lead to the practice of a profession for which one must be a member of a professional order)."

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to add to this. I applied last year with a 4.0 GPA. I completed a second undergrad so they used the two years of that degree to calculate the GPA. In the first year of my second degree I was enrolled in 1st year and 2nd year classes, in the second (and final) year I was enrolled in 3rd and 4th year classes. I was ranked 124/704 OOP students. My CVPN score was 83/704, and total score was 99/704. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, medhopeful'17 said:

I am in a similar situation. I am OOP and have a 3.95 GPA but am unsure what a competitive CV looks like as an OOP....I am not sure I should even bother

I think given your GPA you definitely have a fair shot. In terms of what a competitive CV looks like - it really varies, there's no one formula. Something that I found helpful in preparing my CV was: 

Give the above three links a read and make sure you tailor your CV to address those non-academic qualities and how they align with the guiding principles and what adcom is looking for. 

Good luck!

I personally think CV might actually be worth more than they claim it to be. I know people with the same major, different GPA (3.95 vs 3.6), different CV, but the high GPA person got rejected pre-interview. It's weird because the person with high GPA actually has pretty decent CV as well... not sure why he was rejected. I also know a lot of people getting into McGill with 3.5~3.7 with less difficult majors, which would unlikely happen if GPA + coursework/major difficult = 70% (from last year it was 30% CV/essay, 70% grades). 

but...

there was the personal essay part so it may not be a CV thing

also that was from last year so it might not be applicable to this year. if CV is worth 10% this year... even if they secretly make it worth more it'd probably still be insignificant

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, Heisenberg_ said:

Hey did you apply as OOP or IP because those rankings are scaring me since your GPA is absolutely stellar!

On 7/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, Heisenberg_ said:

Wait how did you get a rank breakdown (ie. you know your rank specifically for academics) this past cycle? I thought they stopped doing that and just give overall rank now.

EDIT: just saw the post date. nvm.

Edited by shortie