Premed 101 Forums

Athabasca English

Hello, 

1. If I were to register for two Athabasca English courses on Aug 1st and finish them by October, would that be considered a summer term course or fall term?

2. How are English 211 (prose forms), English 212 (poetry and plays), and English 255 (introductory composition) in terms of difficulty and workload? 

Thanks!

1. It would be a good idea to email UBC

2. I can't comment on the other ones but ENGL 255 is hard to get an amazing mark but quite chill in terms of workload. 6 assignments in total (the first one isn't even graded) with a few sub-assignments. I'd say if you have reasonable English skills and really try hard to complete the course, you could finish within 3 months (although I think they have a limit on how frequent you can hand in your assignments). All in all, if you pace yourself you can finish the course in 60hours (5 hours in the easier ones and maybe 10 on the harder).

In terms of grading, it really depends on your instructor. I'd say generally you'd get a B+/A-, nothing higher nothing lower. Oh and also one more thing is that your final mark is a letter grade (translating to a 4.0 scale) not a percentage mark. 

Eng 212 is not that easy to get a great mark in. However, it also depends on your instructor. If you put in some work, it is doable to get a mark in the B range for sure. The course has 3 assignments and an exam. The course focuses on poetry and plays and some of the assignments are quite technical and require you to analyze the poems in technical terms (i.e. stanzas, figurative devices, iambic pentameters) and use that as evidence for your interpretation of the poem pieces. I didn't enjoy the course that much since it was kind of rushed and compared to ENG 255, I felt like ENG 212 was overall less interesting and more restrictive. Hope that helps!

Archived