Premed 101 Forums

No Dermatology Department at School

Hi everybody, 

The school that I am attending does not have a dermatology department. I was just wondering if this would negatively affect my chances of matching to dermatology (ie. lack of research opportunities, shadowing opportunities, etc...). 

Also, what can I do to strengthen my application? 

hopefully we can find a derm person for you! I know at Western which doesn't have one the one applicant in my year was very concerned about that and we worked to extend her extra permission to do a derm elective out of season in TO (the problem is there are so few places that do derm that you really have to make sure you met their requirements - at the time TO had a rep for not accepting anyone that didn't do an elective there, and getting one wasn't easy). 

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2017 at 3:03 PM, rmorelan said:

hopefully we can find a derm person for you! I know at Western which doesn't have one the one applicant in my year was very concerned about that and we worked to extend her extra permission to do a derm elective out of season in TO (the problem is there are so few places that do derm that you really have to make sure you met their requirements - at the time TO had a rep for not accepting anyone that didn't do an elective there, and getting one wasn't easy). 

That's good to here! Do you know if she was accepted into a dermatology residency by any chance?

• 5 months later...
On 7/15/2017 at 3:03 PM, rmorelan said:

How did she do research in dermatology?

1 hour ago, médecine said:

How did she do research in dermatology?

Not sure if I missed the edit to your post, or it is a new post but also yes she did research in dermatology. Even if there is no residency program in derm that doesn't mean of course there are no dermatologists at the academic hospital. Plus she reached out to other schools including TO and did research there in the summer. 

If you want those sorts of specialties you aren't exactly holding back ha.

Archived