Premed 101 Forums

Diversity of Experience

17 hours ago, Hopelessmed said:

How can someone quantify how many hours they have spoken a language? 

That's like kind of like trying say how many hours you have spent breathing :P. There is really no good way to put a numerical hour value on it :o. Besides the diversity of experience section does not ask for hours.

I would phrase it more on how knowing a extra language has made you a more capable person. It could being more aware of other cultures , being able to reach out to people whom you won't have been able to otherwise, and also how you used your language skills to solve a tricky situation/help some-one out. Like wise, you can also describe the hard process of learning a new language and how you overcame challenges that way. :)

Knowing an additional language is a skill not most people have (Good for you :D) but it's important you sell it right. 

I organize my language learning and maintenance by weekly hours. Nothing too obsessive in terms of exact numbers, more like an estimation. I used a friend who traveled with me and saw me speak languages for an entire month as a reference for that. I also had contacts for language diplomas I have received.

On 7/18/2017 at 1:05 PM, Sanctaphrax said:

That's like kind of like trying say how many hours you have spent breathing :P. There is really no good way to put a numerical hour value on it :o. Besides the diversity of experience section does not ask for hours.

I would phrase it more on how knowing a extra language has made you a more capable person. It could being more aware of other cultures , being able to reach out to people whom you won't have been able to otherwise, and also how you used your language skills to solve a tricky situation/help some-one out. Like wise, you can also describe the hard process of learning a new language and how you overcame challenges that way. :)

Knowing an additional language is a skill not most people have (Good for you :D) but it's important you sell it right. 

Thank you for this. The diversity of experience section does ask for verifiable hours. I have been speaking 4 languages since birth. How could I possibly put a number on that? 

2 hours ago, adhominem said:

I think hours should be added if applicable. That doesn't seem to be the case here. Same with publications and conference presentations (unless you want to state the time commitment was 15 minutes just to be pedantic haha).

in this case it wouldn't be better to mention the time put in preparing the presentation?

5 minutes ago, ballsortahard said:

in this case it wouldn't be better to mention the time put in preparing the presentation?

With academic research it's generally the impact and significance of the end result that matters more, rather than the time taken to reach the result. This is kind of why adHominem mentioned that only some actives warrant mentioning a specific time commitment. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-07-24 at 6:16 PM, adhominem said:

I think hours should be added if applicable. That doesn't seem to be the case here. Same with publications and conference presentations (unless you want to state the time commitment was 15 minutes just to be pedantic haha).

As an aside, do you think that presenting a poster at a local conference (Campus Alberta Student Health Conference) is worthy enough of being its own entry under the diversity of experience section or should I group it with my research?

1 minute ago, teeezyyy said:

As an aside, do you think that presenting a poster at a local conference (Campus Alberta Student Health Conference) is worthy enough of being its own entry under the diversity of experience section or should I group it with my research?

I've attended those conferences before. I probably wouldn't group it all together for one entry on research. 

At the same time don't make separate entries for each conference... find a medium where you can group some things, and if it's more unique you can separate them into multiple entries. 

- G 

Archived