Premed 101 Forums

Clarification for GPA

Hey guys,

I swear I looked through pre-existing threads before posting this!

My situation is this:

I had some health issues and bounced around university for 2 years, taking random courses here and there with random course loads achieving low grades. Was a huge mess.

Luckily, due to my health issues, my failing grades were completely removed from my transcript. I have since enrolled in a biology degree beginning this September as a first year, essentially a fresh start.

My questions are this:

1. Will Western care about my previous cluster f$%k of bad grades and random courses?

2. I read about the 1 year cutoff + conditional acceptance. Can the 1 year you apply with be first year? Not saying I will be ready or anything, just wondering.

3. As I said, I start this September. Assuming I get above a 3.7 in this year (first) and next year (second year), assuming I meet the MCAT cut offs, can I apply with these years? Is there any problems?

I may be missing the mark here but I am very grateful to anyone who takes the time to share their knowledge with me

Thanks guys

You need to have completed or be in the final year of a 4-year bachelors degree before you can be accepted. Because those grades got removed, I'm guessing you're going to need to complete 4 more years to get that bachelors degree. 

Click on "2. Undergraduate Degree" when you get to this link. Pretty much states what I said above. 

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/medicine/undergraduate/future_students/admission/requirements.html

Hope this helps!

36 minutes ago, MDPLZ said:

Hey guys,

I swear I looked through pre-existing threads before posting this!

My situation is this:

I had some health issues and bounced around university for 2 years, taking random courses here and there with random course loads achieving low grades. Was a huge mess.

Luckily, due to my health issues, my failing grades were completely removed from my transcript. I have since enrolled in a biology degree beginning this September as a first year, essentially a fresh start.

My questions are this:

1. Will Western care about my previous cluster f$%k of bad grades and random courses?

2. I read about the 1 year cutoff + conditional acceptance. Can the 1 year you apply with be first year? Not saying I will be ready or anything, just wondering.

3. As I said, I start this September. Assuming I get above a 3.7 in this year (first) and next year (second year), assuming I meet the MCAT cut offs, can I apply with these years? Is there any problems?

I may be missing the mark here but I am very grateful to anyone who takes the time to share their knowledge with me

Thanks guys

I believe that if you are able to complete a 4 year or equivalent (meaning that you're getting transfer credits from your previous years) then that is going to count as a 4 year degree. Make sure to clarify with admissions how they will look at your academic transcript.

Thank you very much for both of the answers.

Makes a lot of sense.

I do not mean to deviate but does the same thing apply for Queens 2 year rule? Or could I use year 1 and 2 for that 2 yr calculation?

Thanks a million.

1 hour ago, MDPLZ said:

Thank you very much for both of the answers.

Makes a lot of sense.

I do not mean to deviate but does the same thing apply for Queens 2 year rule? Or could I use year 1 and 2 for that 2 yr calculation?

Thanks a million.

Yes, only IF you have a degree. If not then try for UOttawa, or Calgary. 

1 hour ago, MDPLZ said:

So theoretically, if someone did extremely well in their first and second year they could take summer courses to accelerate finishing the rest of their degree... then apply with their first and second year + MCAT?

Yes! Or you could do a concentrated degree. Some schools offer 3 year degrees for some programs. I will warn you that this would mean a harder course load and could impact your grades. This is doable, but very few are successful. Keep in mind that you also need time for your ECs. 

BUT if your school offers many summer classes I'd say you could spread out your courses over the 3 years and potentially be a competitive applicant. 

Your first step should be to see the degree requirements for your program/major and see when you can take all courses to complete the degree. I would also recommend that you look at the difficulty of the course load for each term, so that it is fairly balanced. 

Your GPA matters a lot! Don't try to rush.

1 hour ago, MDPLZ said:

So theoretically, if someone did extremely well in their first and second year they could take summer courses to accelerate finishing the rest of their degree... then apply with their first and second year + MCAT?

Keep in mind the last two years also need to be at a matching grade level (the 3/5 rule). I don't know many schools that offer enough upper-year classes in the summer to accelerate 2 years of school into 1 year.

2 minutes ago, mollypercocet said:

Yes! Or you could do a concentrated degree. Some schools offer 3 year degrees for some programs. I will warn you that this would mean a harder course load and could impact your grades. This is doable, but very few are successful. Keep in mind that you also need time for your ECs. 

BUT if your school offers many summer classes I'd say you could spread out your courses over the 3 years and potentially be a competitive applicant. 

Your first step should be to see the degree requirements for your program/major and see when you can take all courses to complete the degree. I would also recommend that you look at the difficulty of the course load for each term, so that it is fairly balanced. 

Your GPA matters a lot! Don't try to rush.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the response.

Course! My biggest worry is my MCAT. I have some very unusual and I think very strong EC's.

Thanks again

Archived