Premed 101 Forums

NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award - Award, Employment, or Non-academic?

Hi all,

I was very lucky to have received a NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award this summer and would like to include it on my application. I currently have it included under my awards section, but do you think I should also include an entry under employment or non-academic activities instead? The award did not pay much, but I am confused to as where I should put it.

Thanks in advance!

I think UBC Med has answered this question a year or two a go- they recommend for you to put it under employment since the award is paid out as a salary. But won't penalize you for putting it under awards either.

I can second this. I also am super lucky to have received an NSERC USRA and have asked adcom where to include this in the application. They say that USRA NSERCs can go in the employment section as they see it more as an employment opportunity. However, if you have a master's or PhD level NSERC (or other triagency scholarship), it can go in the awards section. They explained that they look at the undergraduate and the graduate level NSERCs a little differently. I had this clarified last year at an info session and checked in again this cycle via emailing Adcom through the OAS to make sure they'd still prefer this.

You can put the NSERC USRA under Awards.  And then you can describe the research position that the award supported under employment - you can make reference to the fact that the award supported this position in the description.  

I personally wouldn't include it as an award AND an employment entry as Frenchpress suggests for it as I see that as kind of double-dipping. I would describe the research position in the employment entry.

1 hour ago, Ghimbo said:

I can second this. I also am super lucky to have received an NSERC USRA and have asked adcom where to include this in the application. They say that USRA NSERCs can go in the employment section as they see it more as an employment opportunity. However, if you have a master's or PhD level NSERC (or other triagency scholarship), it can go in the awards section. They explained that they look at the undergraduate and the graduate level NSERCs a little differently. I had this clarified last year at an info session and checked in again this cycle via emailing Adcom through the OAS to make sure they'd still prefer this.

I personally wouldn't include it as an award AND an employment entry as Frenchpress suggests for it as I see that as kind of double-dipping. I would describe the research position in the employment entry.

Hm, I put it as both on my own application last year, based on what I was told in the info session that I attended. Mixed messages! Perhaps it's not worth leaving out other awards in order to list it, but I don't think they will penalize you if you did -- if you're just doing so to make things clear on your application and not misrepresenting things, then it won't be seen as 'double dipping'.  

If for some reason OP thinks it's important to list it in both places (i.e. it makes things more clear, or they don't have space in the employment description to mention it without missing other important details), then I think it's fine to put in awards. But if OP wants to include it in only one place, then as you've suggested employment is the most appropriate place to do so. 

3 hours ago, frenchpress said:

Hm, I put it as both on my own application last year, based on what I was told in the info session that I attended. Mixed messages! Perhaps it's not worth leaving out other awards in order to list it, but I don't think they will penalize you if you did -- if you're just doing so to make things clear on your application and not misrepresenting things, then it won't be seen as 'double dipping'.  

If for some reason OP thinks it's important to list it in both places (i.e. it makes things more clear, or they don't have space in the employment description to mention it without missing other important details), then I think it's fine to put in awards. But if OP wants to include it in only one place, then as you've suggested employment is the most appropriate place to do so. 

I agree, I don't think you'll be penalized if you put it in both sections. In the end its up to you - don't hesitate to send an email to Adcom if you're worried/not sure what to do as they're very helpful.

Archived