Premed 101 Forums

Hello,

I am hoping to gain some insight in where I stand in the pool of applicants with my current GPA and MCAT score and if I should even apply this cycle. my CGPA is 3.26 from SFU and I calculated by AGPA 83%. I just got my MCAT score 499 [124, 124, 126, 125] and I am not too happy with it but it does meet the minimum. I am wondering if I should even apply this cycle. I know I have to redo the MCAT to get a more competitive score, but I am unsure if I should attempt the process for practice. Any suggestions?

If you have the financial means, I would recommend that you apply & get a feel for the process at UBC.

Your GPA is on the lower end of the average- but still competitive.
This was the formula last year for AQ calculation: 1.57907*(AGPA) - 111.0834 = AQ score. Based on the formula, your AQ score is ~20. Last year, applicants needed ~53 total points to get an interview. For you this means that about ~33 points should come from your NAQ section (extracurriculars etc) to get ~20 + ~33 = ~53

Your MCAT score is low & I'd advice that you rerwrite. Aim for something around 513+

Good luck!

Not knowing what your EC's are like... I recommend you apply. Your GPA is slightly low, but many people get interviews and get accepted with GPAs similar to yours. 

The MCAT is honestly very low and might keep you from getting accepted post-interview (it is not considered pre-interview), but overall I see three possible scenarios:

• You get rejected pre-interview, but get to see your scores and know where you stand in terms of ECs and get to experience the application process
  • You get rejected pos-interview, but get to see your scores and get to experience the application and interview process 
  • You get accepted!

Although I think the 3rd scenario fairly unlikely, the benefits of the first two scenarios (primarily seeing your scores) make filling out an application worthwhile. 

Definitely prep for rewriting the MCAT in the meantime and best of luck!

Archived