Premed 101 Forums

New requirement - CASPer

It says that we're only allowed to take the Casper Test once. However, I'd also like to apply to UdeM and they require us to take the Casper Test in French. I'm more fluent in English however, so I'd rather take the Casper Test in English for McGill. 

Is it possible to take the Casper Test once in BOTH languages? Or am I forced to take the Casper Test in French only so that I would be eligible to apply for BOTH UdeM and McGill? 

Does anyone have any info? I'd appreciate any input on the matter. 

35 minutes ago, verycaffeinated said:

It says that we're only allowed to take the Casper Test once. However, I'd also like to apply to UdeM and they require us to take the Casper Test in French. I'm more fluent in English however, so I'd rather take the Casper Test in English for McGill. 

Is it possible to take the Casper Test once in BOTH languages? Or am I forced to take the Casper Test in French only so that I would be eligible to apply for BOTH UdeM and McGill? 

Does anyone have any info? I'd appreciate any input on the matter. 

I think it won't be the same test as the french schools.... even on the McGill french page they call it Casper, not TECT :/ unfortunately it seems to be a separate process just like the MMI, so you'll have to do the Casper for McGill and the TECT for UdeM. 

12 hours ago, 1997 said:

It's the exact same thing, except tect is in french and casper is in english and the scenarios might be a little different.

I know it's the same type of test, what I mean is that I don't think that we can use the results from the Casper we'd do for the McGill application and then use them to the French schools application, as verycaffeinated suggested. 

16 minutes ago, Elgar said:

I know it's the same type of test, what I mean is that I don't think that we can use the results from the Casper we'd do for the McGill application and then use them to the French schools application, as verycaffeinated suggested. 

The TECT is the same thing as CASPer. I think if you want to apply to McGill and other francophone universities, you will have to write the CASPer/TECT in French. It's one and the same. 

I dont think you can write one in English to submit to anglophone and one in French to submit to francophone.

10 minutes ago, 1997 said:

Yes, I believe what you're saying makes sense since french schools REQUIRE you to write the french test and McGill doesn't care. Since you can only write the test once per cycle, to be eligible at both french schools and McGill, you would have to write it in French.

No. I took Casper twice last cycle. One for Ottawa in French stream, one for Mac. You can do it twice if it's in different languages (unless things have changed this year)

2 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

No. I took Casper twice last cycle. One for Ottawa in French stream, one for Mac. You can do it twice if it's in different languages (unless things have changed this year)

Is it because Mac requires it in English? Since since you applied to Ottawa French stream - you dont have a choice but to do CASPer (a second time) but in French? Just speculation.

39 minutes ago, qnzjlo said:

Is it because Mac requires it in English? Since since you applied to Ottawa French stream - you dont have a choice but to do CASPer (a second time) but in French? Just speculation.

Yes exactly. I'm assuming the situation could be similar in the case of a Quebec applicant having to do the TECT in French (as I did with Ottawa) without losing the option to do it in English if that were his preference for McGill. The difference would be that McGill gives you the choice, but the choice is eliminated if you decide to apply to the French schools. I find that pretty unfair.  Worth sending an email to mcgill for the upcoming applicants...

3 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

I'm hoping this is true because on the Casper Test website, when you look at the sample scenarios, the scenarios on the English website are not the same as the ones in the French website. This somehow gives me the impression that I might have to take it twice - once in both languages - during the same cycle, because if the English and French Casper Tests were truly the same, why put completely difference videos for each website?

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Reastat said:

So it looks like schools are giving more weight to CASPer now :(

Well, this is the first year that McGill is instituting the CASPer test. 20% is relatively modest, given that Mac is around 32%. Not sure where the other schools are sitting at in terms of weighing the CASPer. 

After having contacted CASPer directly, they confirmed that you can indeed register to do the test once in French and then once in English within the same application cycle. This allow you to do it in French for UdeM (or any other school that requires it in French) but you can also do it again in English for McGill (and other anglophone schools).

26 minutes ago, mtl77 said:

After having contacted CASPer directly, they confirmed that you can indeed register to do the test once in French and then once in English within the same application cycle. This allow you to do it in French for UdeM (or any other school that requires it in French) but you can also do it again in English for McGill (and other anglophone schools).

You should call McGill to confirm - that's what I would do - never hurt to double check.

• 2 months later...

Archived