Premed 101 Forums

Tips for MCAT preparation prior to first year?

Ameer

Hey guys

So currently, I've completed high school, moving on to McMaster university in the fall. I'm going into the chemical and physical sciences, hoping to major in medical physics. I've already picked out my courses for first year, which includes physics, chemistry, biology, and calculus courses.

I'm a little concerned about taking the MCAT because I know that I will struggle with the critical reasoning and psychology (and sociology etc) portions.

So I was wondering, is it too early to prepare for those sections this summer?

I plan on applying to most med schools by 3rd or 4rth year 

Definitely too early. I think you'll find that you'll learn a lot about how to prepare for the MCAT just by learning how to study for and succeed in your university courses. A lot of people find high school to university to be a big adjustment, so you will probably serve yourself best by doing things you really enjoy this summer so that you're ready to work as hard as you feel you need to in the fall. 

If you're concerned you'll struggle with these MCAT sections, why not try to take some humanities or psych electives as part of your degree? Those kinds of courses can really help you develop your reading and critical thinking skills and expose you to some of the content you'll need. 

But if it's really important to you to make some sort of progress this summer, you could pick up some books for recreational reading that you think you might find more challenging that what you were used to reading in high school, or that deal with topics outside of your usual interests. E.g., if you see yourself as a 'Science' person, you could read some books about feminism! Or vice versa.  Any sort of practice reading and understanding and thinking about things that challenge you will help you develop those skills. 

Too early to think about MCAT.   Enjoy the next month and prepare for first year undergrad.   Your goal should be to adjust quickly to MAC and get a good balanced rhythm going that you can nail a +3.9 GPA in first year.  Many students falter in this regard and wish they could have a do-over.  Consider a social science elective in 1st or 2nd year to help with CARS. 

You could do some casual MCAT sample test review late in first year just to see that you are learning the science content - but nothing strenuous.   Wait until summer after 2nd year (post-organic chem) and plan a May-July prep period to write the MCAT.

Way too early to even think about the MCAT imo. Focus on enjoying your Summer, then focus on getting and maintaining a high GPA (which most people agree is "king"). Worry about the MCAT in 3rd or 4th year. If you're worried about the sections you mentioned you can take electives in psych/soci, there are prep courses for the MCAT as well which cover cars. I'd recommend taking a biomedical ethics course (usually in the philosophy department) which I personally think can really help you with Casper.

Archived