Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
redzebra42

Possible to do a part time masters during MD

Hey everyone,

I am starting an MD program this coming fall and asked my school's dean about the possibility of doing an online MPH program that is part time while doing my MD. I started a public health certificate program this year, but as I finished in good standing the school has offered for me to continue on for the next two years to be awarded an MPH. 

My med school has said this is okay on the condition that "you would not appeal exams/assessments in which you were not successful as the program is only able to evaluate appeals/revision of exams in the context of students in the MD program alone". 

My questions on about this is:

1.would a ~5 hour/week commitment be too much to take on to complete this degree during my preclerkship years?

2.is appealing exams/assessments a right that I should not give up as a medical student? Do students often need to do this?

3.would it be of benefit for me to hold an MPH for the purposes of residency placements?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

5 hours a week is perfectly doable. 

What do you mean by appeal exams/assessments? I think they mean, if you fail any courses in your MD program, they would be less likely to allow an appeal because you are spreading yourself to other endeavours outside the MD program? Seems odd and needs clarification.

Sounds like they are just giving you standard disclaimers. I mean, you shouldn't even have to tell the MD program youre doing the part-time MPH at a different school anyways. But i can see them technically having rules in place on potential dual-enrollement. I don't see why thats any different than people who work part-time or do other things in their spare time that "takes away from medicine".

Thank you for your reply.

The reason I wanted to ask with them is that my offer letter stated that I could not be enrolled in another program while doing an MD.

That is a quote from them that maybe I need more clarification on. I interpreted it the same way you did. I just don't see why that would necessarily be an issue as I don't know that I would need to appeal failing an examination or course. Perhaps I do need more clarification.

Would an MPH be something of value for obtaining residency positions for say general surgery?

I'm a surgical resident in a specialty field. It is my opinion that having a MPH doesn't make you any more competitive to enter a surgical residency. Personally, I would not do what you are contemplating, either during med school or during residency. I would not have had the time to to it during medical school. The time I did not devote to studying was to relax with friends and family which I found to be important. And there is just not the time available during residency. My 2 cents. 

I wouldn't do it. If you are gonna study during your MD focus on the stuff in your MD. That's what matters. And there is already way too much material to learn during that, why make it harder. Plus don't waste your very limited downtime doing extra work.

I also wouldn't trust the school when they ask you to give up your right to appeal exams. That's just opening the door to them screwing you. Never trust the med schools as far as you can throw them. I know multiple people who appealed something during med school.

An MPH won't matter for getting a reaidency. If you want to do it, you can do it during fellowship or residency.  

13 hours ago, NLengr said:

I wouldn't do it. If you are gonna study during your MD focus on the stuff in your MD. That's what matters. And there is already way too much material to learn during that, why make it harder. Plus don't waste your very limited downtime doing extra work.

I also wouldn't trust the school when they ask you to give up your right to appeal exams. That's just opening the door to them screwing you. Never trust the med schools as far as you can throw them. I know multiple people who appealed something during med school.

An MPH won't matter for getting a reaidency. If you want to do it, you can do it during fellowship or residency.  

This. Don't let them take away what little rights you have.

15 hours ago, NLengr said:

Couldn't agree more!