Premed 101 Forums

Importance of motor skills?

47 minutes ago, Ostracized said:

What do you mean by 'lack of motor skills'?

I never had much in the way of fine motor skills hobbies.  My penmanship is atrocious and I cannot draw to save my life.  Still, I'm a passable dentist.

Well I know my motor skills are limited because I'm incapable of excelling at a few sports and my handwriting is somewhat bad. Because of this, my family is advising me that I should not go into dentistry due to their 'heavy emphasis on motor skills'. I was just wondering if this is true and if that would hold me back as a dentist lol

From what I have heard, it may be difficult for you for a few reasons. Obviously you want to take a path that suits your aptitude and if that is not fine motor skill you may be very very frustrated with dentistry. As well, I have known people who struggle greatly with the carving portion of the DAT and carve hundreds of soaps just to get a good mark- then they practice and get many needle stick injuries etc. One person had an injury and it affected his fine motor skills so he cannot practice but instead will do research or teaching. 

Definitely something to think about in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, qwerty2222 said:

From what I have heard, it may be difficult for you for a few reasons. Obviously you want to take a path that suits your aptitude and if that is not fine motor skill you may be very very frustrated with dentistry. As well, I have known people who struggle greatly with the carving portion of the DAT and carve hundreds of soaps just to get a good mark- then they practice and get many needle stick injuries etc. One person had an injury and it affected his fine motor skills so he cannot practice but instead will do research or teaching. 

Definitely something to think about in my opinion. 

Was this because of over practicing during clinic or from just soap carving? Can you even pass dental school if you develop such an injury?? 

Also how does insurance come into play with these kind of injuries? Depending on when they happen I suppose?

You'll have tons of time to practice motor skills in the program. Pre-clinical classes and of course after hours practice on your own time. I don't think that people with good motor skills necessarily pursue dentistry. Its a program that attracts all sorts of people, who may or may not start off with great hand skills. I wouldn't let those worries hold you back at this point. In a class of 30 or even 80+ students, I have a hard time believing that they would all be following their true calling due to their fantastic motor skills. Its not like a height and basketball correlation that we're talking about. Im going into second year this fall, and when I think back to fall of first year, basically everyone in my class had the same skill sets to begin with. We were all terrible and the hand skills came (and will continue to come) with practice. I think you should consider a broader scope of what the field entails and see if you're still interested in it. Good luck :)

Archived