Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters

Hey all,

So this cycle I'm applying to Ottawa and Mac (both which use reference letters solely for P/F).. does it matter if our reference letters come from the same job/position? I have several supervisors at my NSERC summer job and was wondering whether I could use 3 supervisors from there? Would that possibly result in a "fail"? Or would that be fine? I can also get 1-2 from my year round job, but I don't know if there are 3 unique positions I've held where I can comfortably get a referee.

Thanks!

According to the OMSAS application website, "At least 1 referee should be a non-academic/character referee." 

It would definitely be possible to provide two reference letters from your NSERC position, but you would require another reference from a non-academic position. If you were to choose two referees from NSERC, you could provide them with a specific list of topics to discuss to make sure that they provide varied information about your overall performance and abilities.

On 29/07/2017 at 11:00 AM, Habital said:

According to the OMSAS application website, "At least 1 referee should be a non-academic/character referee." 

It would definitely be possible to provide two reference letters from your NSERC position, but you would require another reference from a non-academic position. If you were to choose two referees from NSERC, you could provide them with a specific list of topics to discuss to make sure that they provide varied information about your overall performance and abilities.

I worked closely with a PhD grad student (she's officially getting her PhD in a couple of weeks) who was also my previous TA. I feel like she can speak strongly about my academics and canmeds competencies. Is this an inappropriate reference? 

27 minutes ago, Donald_Duck said:

She would be fine, in fact I opted to have my research associate write a reference letter instead my PI because they work with me everyday and would personalize it more. 

Mr Duck

Excellent!! This is the exact position I am in. Thanks Duck

Archived