Premed 101 Forums

People who don't meet eligibility criteria

On UofC's most recent reference statistics it says that 96/182 non-Albertans who applied did not meet the application eligibility criteria. Why do so many people apply if they don't meet the criteria? Are we all missing something? Or do people just throw in an app with blind faith even though they don't meet the minimums?

Your average applicant isn't on these forums and doesn't know all the cut offs. In Ontario, the # of people that apply and don't meet criteria are in the thousands.

Not sure how transparent UofC is with the criteria, but that can be an issue. Maybe they applied not knowing and hoping for the best. There will always be people like that. Don't worry about it. If you're unsure about certain criteria, you can always contact admissions but it's usually pretty straight forward.

It seems pretty transparent.. They clearly state on the application guide that you need 3.8 and 128 CARS for them to even review your file. But I guess you're right. A lot of people don't read that much into it. Thanks for the info!

Some people may also wind up applying without knowing their MCAT scores. I had to do that the year I applied. I was IP so it didn't matter as much, but for an OOP it's possible they wrote (or re-wrote) the MCAT and applied blind, hoping for the best, then fell short of the cutoff.

Archived