Premed 101 Forums

Required Training for Med School

JKT

Hey guys, 

So some schools require some previous training for med school including basic life support training for health care providers, CPR-level C and standard first aid. I haven't complete any of these (I'm a second year student in a five year program). When do you recommend that I get these done?

Thanks 

Perhaps to avoid putting the cart in front of the horse, wait until you receive an acceptance letter before concerning yourself with these minuscule details.

Do those certifications earlier if they are are required for some other volunteer position you are interested in pursuing or some employment opportunity, but in your 2nd year out of a 5 year program and a couple of years before your first med school application, you need not spend any time contemplating these matters.

1 hour ago, JKT said:

Hey guys, 

So some schools require some previous training for med school including basic life support training for health care providers, CPR-level C and standard first aid. I haven't complete any of these (I'm a second year student in a five year program). When do you recommend that I get these done?

Thanks 

Wait until you get accepted. You don't need certification in order to apply and I believe that many schools have a time frame for how old your certification can be (even if it hasn't expired yet) or require that you get recertified every year. There is lots of time in the summer between receiving acceptance offers and the start of class for you to do the necessary first aid and CPR courses.

All the above is good advice in terms of taking things with the sole intention of getting certifications needed for med.

That said, I disagree with the assertion that there is NO point in doing it now. It never hurts to take a basic CPR/AED or first aid class just for the sake of learning how to be useful in an emergency!  

Archived