Premed 101 Forums

Quebec government bursary/loan program

Here is my situation: I'm planning to work as a dentist during my first two years in med school (pre-clerkship), and stop working during the 3rd and 4th years (clerkship) because clerkship's schedule will be much more demanding. I will apply to Quebec government bursary/loan program in the beginning of 3rd year. Do you think the government will take account the income I made before the award year. For example, if I make 40k during my first year, will the government be like "oh this guy made a lot of money during first year, and he should be able to pay for his 3rd year even though he is no longer working". 

Does the government take account the amount you made in the previous years to decide the amount of bursary given to you, or it only depends on your current year's income (from Jan 1 to Dec 31 of the award year)? I'd appreciate to hear from someone who had similar experience. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, 1997 said:

Yeah they'll take into account your previous year's income. You can explain your special circumstances (there's a form and process for that) for when your income changes drastically and they'll take that into account as well.

For you, did they reduce a lot your bursary because you worked previously?

According to the formula on the website, it doesn't seem that they are actually looking at your saving from previous income, but they seem to only consider your income income received between January 1 and December 31 of the award year. (http://www.afe.gouv.qc.ca/en/loans-and-bursariesfull-time-studies/assessment/contribution/students-contribution/)

With the LOC provided etc there is no real reason to work in med school, notwithstanding the temptation to do so. I wouldn't have been able to find the time to work while attending med school, and during summers which were treats for relaxation why risk working for zero sum gain with the rules. If I were you I would strongly consider putting dentistry behind me and focusing on just medicine. My 2 cents anyhow.

18 hours ago, Bambi said:

With the LOC provided etc there is no real reason to work in med school, notwithstanding the temptation to do so. I wouldn't have been able to find the time to work while attending med school, and during summers which were treats for relaxation why risk working for zero sum gain with the rules. If I were you I would strongly consider putting dentistry behind me and focusing on just medicine. My 2 cents anyhow.

Thank you for your suggestion. I've used the LOC since my first year of dental school, and my debts are very heavy after 5 years of dental school. Dentistry is something that I enjoy doing, and I can make pretty good money at the same time. Btw I should be familiar with most of the pre-clerkship courses since I've already studied for USMLE step 1 two years ago. This is how I'm considering part-time job during med school. 

31 minutes ago, 1997 said:

From what I remember, they take into account your previous income and assets. But I can't answer that question since my situation was different. But whatever happens, I think it's a good idea for you to work as a dentist during medical school, you'll be making significantly more than whatever gets cut from your bursary and since you plan on being a dental surgeon anyways, having connections in the field can't hurt.

What medical school will you be attending?

But the thing is that when you're filling the application form for gov bursary, it never asks you what is your previous income/saving, it only asks your income for the bursary year, so I'm wondering how do they even know your previous income. 

I'm not planning to become a dental surgeon. I'm currently a dental surgeon (dental surgeon = dentist) who wishes to become a maxillofacial surgeon. As you said having connections might be good, thanks for your advice. I will be at ULaval. 

Archived