Premed 101 Forums

Ccfp-em abroad

I know the topic of royal college 5 year vs ccfp-em has been absolutely beaten to death. What has been talked about less is what the +1 does for you in terms of international work. I know it isn't adequate to practice emergency medicine in the united states. What about elsewhere? 

Perhaps working with msf, would they accept a ccfp-em to help with emergency disaster relief? Australia has a emergency flight medicine program to serve rural areas. Other companies will hire physicians to accompany them on long treks or expeditions.  Maybe it is too niche a question for anyone to really know. It's certainly not discussed on the websites of the aforementioned organizations. 

Actually, the +1 itself doesn't necessarily actually make one adequate to practice EM in the states. The +1 helps make your FM training comparable in length to the US(It is 3 years there) and likely make you more on par with GPs who are also able to work in some US EDs. Not all EDs will take GPs, nor the same with CCFP-EM.  While it will help, it isn't a catch all to gain unrestricted access to US emerge depts with CCFP-EM.

3 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

Actually, the +1 itself doesn't necessarily actually make one adequate to practice EM in the states. The +1 helps make your FM training comparable in length to the US(It is 3 years there) and likely make you more on par with GPs who are also able to work in some US EDs. Not all EDs will take GPs, nor the same with CCFP-EM.  While it will help, it isn't a catch all to gain unrestricted access to US emerge depts with CCFP-EM.

I think we were saying the samething. With a ccfp-em you cannot practice emergency medicine in the states. They won't recognize it as being adequate for any major centre (unlike canada).  I'm sure the rural places that have ED's staffed by FM people obviously wouldn't mind. 

49 minutes ago, MarsRover said:

I think we were saying the samething. With a ccfp-em you cannot practice emergency medicine in the states. They won't recognize it as being adequate for any major centre (unlike canada).  I'm sure the rural places that have ED's staffed by FM people obviously wouldn't mind. 

I definitely misread that upon further inspection, my apologies!

Archived