Premed 101 Forums

Need advice (please)

Hi all

Im going into my second year of Dentistry at UofT. I've always wanted to go into medicine, and have just decided to act on this. I've interviewed for med before but didn't get in, but got into dent that year so just took it. 

I'm wondering if I can get your guys input on if you think this is a wise decision...I'm currently 24, if I write the mcat next summer and apply through the following year, I'll be 26. After 4 years 31, then after training around 34. All assuming I get in on the first try.

wise? I feel very strongly about medicine but my MCAT was my downfall along with my interview last time... I'm planning to lightly refresh myself on topics throughout second year dent (keyword: lightly) and study hard for that summer... and read the economist during the year to prep a bit for CARS 

just need any advice/tips as I'm hesistant because of my age 

Your age is not relevant to any decision you make. It is merely a number. You will still have over three decades of practice. Go for it, try your best and see what happens. Your fallback is dentistry. We are talking here about the remainder of your life and it is important that you live life with no regrets. I wish you success in achieving your goal.

It's understandable that you are concerned about age, but do realize that a lot of people 27 and up get admitted across Canada every year and they make it work. Banks will be there to give you the loans you need, and you'll always make it back.  If medicine is something you really want, it's actually never too late (27 isn't even "old" for medical school standards).  

However, I'm not sure if I entirely agree that age is not relevant to this decision. Depending on your priorities and expectations of other aspects of your life (eg. Family), I feel that entering medicine at a later stage in life realistically will have some level of additional burden on those parts of your life, and it's up to you to decide whether it'll be worth it, and whether you can make it work. Like @Bambi said though, live your life with no regrets - will your decision not to pursue medicine haunt you 30 years later when you wake up in the morning to go to work as a dentist, or will you be able to shrug it off and happily live your life?

I am 25 this years and will be 26 when I enter medical school (I deferred a year). I have asked this question to myself and on this forum as well. I have come to realize that you really just can't compromise on what you want to be in your life. You cannot settle. I agree with TARS that age is still a real factor because depending on your propensity for forming a family and your other life priorities, going into med school and the years ahead of training might not be compatible - but you have to realize that many do make it work! On the other hand, I have come to realize that 26/27 is not even considered old, considering that the mean age of matriculants to Canadian medical school is around 24/25.

Go for it and do not settle!

Well, dentistry is your backup anyhow, or, you leave dental school now and enter into the totally unknown with the hope to get into med school, explaining why you left dentistry after one year which should not be a problem, or, you stay in dentistry and do your best, cross your fingers hoping you maintain your grades.

Life is about strategic decisions, taking calculated risks on the basis of an analysis of risk & reward, potential cost & benefits, and living with the consequences of our decisions. Whatever you do is a roll of the dice with lifetime consequences. In that respect, it reminds me of CaRMS which became my roll of the dice seeking 3 different fields with 1 interview in each and having a good chance of not matching as I limited myself geographically. I was prepared for the worst case scenario and it worked out, but could have been otherwise. Who said life is supposed to be easy.

3 hours ago, hotlinebliiing said:

Thanks guys! 

Another thing I'm scared of is that my GPA might drop while in my second year dental school; I'm scared it would throw me out of contention... I'm at about a 3.85 at UofT currently, any lower and I think I might be screwed 

Do your best in second year and apply after that. How hard was it to get a 3.85 in first year? And is the 3.85 OMSAS or U of T scaling since at U of T 85+ is 4.0.

Just now, hotlinebliiing said:

Thanks everyone! Bought some MCAT books and I'm gonna give it a go. I figured age is not a factor compared to how happy id be in the program. That being said, I'm still continuing with dentistry.

Maintaining a 3.85 was pretty difficult, I was always studying

Keep it up! Rooting for ya! Reach out if you have any further qs :)

21 minutes ago, hotlinebliiing said:

Thanks everyone! Bought some MCAT books and I'm gonna give it a go. I figured age is not a factor compared to how happy id be in the program. That being said, I'm still continuing with dentistry.

Maintaining a 3.85 was pretty difficult, I was always studying

Well, In undergrad, I was always studying to attain my straight A's. In med school, I was always studying. Residency is much much tougher with the demands of work, studying, preparing and doing presentations where you need to be at the top of your game. So, just continue doing what you have done. Work hard. There is a pay off at the end!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 7:37 AM, Bambi PGY3 said:

Your age is not relevant to any decision you make. It is merely a number. You will still have over three decades of practice. Go for it, try your best and see what happens. Your fallback is dentistry. We are talking here about the remainder of your life and it is important that you live life with no regrets. I wish you success in achieving your goal.

Great point! Well said.

Archived