Premed 101 Forums

Course Load Requirement

Anyone have experience applying to Dalhousie with less than a full course load? I'm filling out an application but I don't fall into either option for course load exception (i.e. extenuating circumstances that may have negatively impacted your course load/credit hours or the curriculum design of your program does not meet the full course load requirement as outlined on our website).

For those in my position, did you fill out the application as is or select the course load exception option and send a separate email to admissions?

Thanks in advance!

6 minutes ago, Chels1267 said:

Can you actually get around not having a full course load over your last 2 years?

I suppose it depends on how strict the admissions committee is with requirements. There's a large difference between taking a single half-course in the summer vs. spreading courses evenly between summer and fall/winter, failing courses, or taking >4 years to complete the degree. I'm hoping that in the former case there would be some leniency.

4 minutes ago, New_user said:

I suppose it depends on how strict the admissions committee is with requirements. There's a large difference between taking a single half-course in the summer vs. spreading courses evenly between summer and fall/winter, failing courses, or taking >4 years to complete the degree. I'm hoping that in the former case there would be some leniency.

If that's the reason why you don't qualify for the course load exception I can't say I'd be overly confident in the Admission Committee accepting your application. They're pretty clear on the website that there are pretty specific reasons why they'd wave that requirement. 

Is your degree completed? There are several ways your transcript can be assessed with a completed degree. From the website, you basically need to meet the assessment requirements in the last two years OR any three out of four years. From what I understand for example if you had a full course load in year 1, 2, and 4 but not in 3, you can have your transcript assessed using year 1, 2 and 4 and that's ok (provided you meet the gpa cutoff in each year.) If there were 2 years when you didn't have a full course load you are out of luck as from what I've heard from some who applied they are very sticky on that requirement, and only routinely grant exceptions for the 'curriculum' exception option. The 'other special circumstances' has to be truly exceptional because of the 2 or 3 year assessment policy.

25 minutes ago, TripleC said:

Is your degree completed? There are several ways your transcript can be assessed with a completed degree. From the website, you basically need to meet the assessment requirements in the last two years OR any three out of four years. From what I understand for example if you had a full course load in year 1, 2, and 4 but not in 3, you can have your transcript assessed using year 1, 2 and 4 and that's ok (provided you meet the gpa cutoff in each year.) If there were 2 years when you didn't have a full course load you are out of luck as from what I've heard from some who applied they are very sticky on that requirement, and only routinely grant exceptions for the 'curriculum' exception option. The 'other special circumstances' has to be truly exceptional because of the 2 or 3 year assessment policy.

I completed 3/4 years with a full course load but the website suggests that both of the final two years need to satisfy the requirement. See below:

"To be eligible to apply to Dalhousie Medical School, a full course load of five full classes (30 credit hours) in each of the two most senior years of the baccalaureate degree submitted for assessment is generally required."

Will email admissions to confirm.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, medhopeful2018 said:

Have you heard anything back from admissions? I submitted my request (I qualify for the course load exemption as outlined in their application), but I never heard anything back?  I guess it probably takes a long time to consider.

Yes! The reply from admissions indicated that if the degree is completed only 3/4 years need to satisfy the course load and minimum GPA requirement. Will keep a record to offer as proof if further issues arise.

Archived