Premed 101 Forums

IP Chance? (Low CARS 126)

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can give me their opinion on my realistic chances!

wGPA: 3.7 (including my Master's GPA)

Overall MCAT: 513 (90th percentile)

CARS: 126 (lower than expected!)

Above average ECs! Graduated in 2012 and then worked in the professional world for 3 years (business degree). Completed MSc in UK. Did a post-bacc year to gain all science courses to prepare for the MCAT (science GPA 3.9). Lots of leadership experience, many many volunteer hours, backpacked from New Zealand to Japan for 5 months. 

My main question is do I have realistic chances (IP)? Or do I need to write the MCAT again to get a higher CARS score?

Thanks!

23 hours ago, FatherFranklin said:

UofC is mostly about your EC's. Your GPA is on the lower end, but your CARS is not too bad. I would encourage you to apply.

Okay thanks! I was worrier 126 might be low for UofC but I'll give it a shot at applying!

On 8/2/2017 at 8:26 AM, FatherFranklin said:

UofC is mostly about your EC's. Your GPA is on the lower end, but your CARS is not too bad. I would encourage you to apply.

This isn't exactly correct. 

The U of C creates standardized curves, and awards "points" based off of your place in relationship to the mean applicant score, and standard deviations. 3.7 is about the mean GPA, and 126 cars is about the mean CARS score, which makes you more or less average. Average (or the mean) receives a score of 100. Each standard deviation deviates your score above or below the 100 by 15 points. For example if you had a 3.5 and standard deviation was 0.2 then you would get a score of 85. 

You have a score of more or less 100, which means your TOP 10 must be slightly above average. Its important for you to note that this isn't so much an "EC" thing, but rather a "who you are thing, and what does that say about you thing". It is not a resume. After you have a standardized score in each scored component, they use a weighted average of the standardized scores to decide who gets an interview. Everyone above a cut off (typically 102ish) gets an interview. So to get an interview you basically have to be slightly better than average. 

In short, yes apply. Many people with far worse GPA and CARS than you get in. You stand a great "chance" (or rather I would say) you have an excellent opportunity to get in. 

MOST IMPORTANTLY

good luck!

2 hours ago, MountainAmoeba said:

This isn't exactly correct. 

The U of C creates standardized curves, and awards "points" based off of your place in relationship to the mean applicant score, and standard deviations. 3.7 is about the mean GPA, and 126 cars is about the mean CARS score, which makes you more or less average. Average (or the mean) receives a score of 100. Each standard deviation deviates your score above or below the 100 by 15 points. For example if you had a 3.5 and standard deviation was 0.2 then you would get a score of 85. 

You have a score of more or less 100, which means your TOP 10 must be slightly above average. Its important for you to note that this isn't so much an "EC" thing, but rather a "who you are thing, and what does that say about you thing". It is not a resume. After you have a standardized score in each scored component, they use a weighted average of the standardized scores to decide who gets an interview. Everyone above a cut off (typically 102ish) gets an interview. So to get an interview you basically have to be slightly better than average. 

In short, yes apply. Many people with far worse GPA and CARS than you get in. You stand a great "chance" (or rather I would say) you have an excellent opportunity to get in. 

MOST IMPORTANTLY

good luck!

Thank you so much for your very very helpful and comprehensive response! Can I ask you how did you determine that 3.7 and 126 are the averages and that average GPA/MCAT leads to score of 100 ?

1 hour ago, ahmadmz said:

Thank you so much for your very very helpful and comprehensive response! Can I ask you how did you determine that 3.7 and 126 are the averages and that average GPA/MCAT leads to score of 100 ?

Under their prospective applicant section they have an extensive breakdown of statistics. In the application itself is an explanation of the scoring, as well as podcasts Dr. Walker had uploaded. 

Archived