Premed 101 Forums

When did you start getting involved in research during undergrad?

pretzels

Hey guys! I am just curious, when do most people start getting research experience? I am going into my second year, and I haven't started volunteering in a lab yet, but I'm really interested in doing that, eventually. I already have a bunch of extracurricular activities lined up, so I'm not sure how beneficial it would be for me to get involved during the school year, but I'm worried that I won't be able to get a good lab or hospital research position in the upcoming summer if I don't have prior experience? Thanks so much for your help!

* Sorry - I posted this same question under general discussions, before I found this category.

I got involved in research in my 3rd year (2nd semester). I took a course with a professor that was doing interesting research and asked him after class if he needed a volunteer. We had a meeting to discuss it and it worked into a long term commitment and my own research project! At the same time, in a different department I inquired about doing my honours in another lab that I had interest in working in. By my 4th year I had 2 major research commitments of my own in separate labs. By my 5th year I was helping a number of other students with their research as well.
My point is, the earlier you get involved the better because it can blossom into an excellent experience with time. My advice is to ask about volunteering during the year (send emails to all the PIs you are interested in working with). You will probably only get to do basic tasks when you start but it will give you a good understanding of how a lab works. PIs don't expect undergrads to have a mile long resume of research experience so don't worry about the not having any. Get involved any way you can and you will most likely end up getting a summer position down the line! Good Luck! 

I never got involved with research during undergrad and it is not a detriment to being a competitive applicant for med school. One summer during med school, I devoted 3 weeks to doing a literature review and got published, followed by a cnference presentation. I only really became a researcher with publications during residency, and my prior lack of research experience was not relevant to anything. Don"t get hung up by it.

We have undergrads in our lab that just finished second year, and are starting out on a volunteer basis over the summer. This can easily transition into the school year if you want, and help when it comes to doing a undergrad thesis if you choose. There are even volunteers in our lab with their own projects. If you find a PI whose research interests you, there's no harm in discussing the possibility of a volunteer position, especially considering they're usually flexible to your schedule.

I would argue that while not having research experience isn't detrimental to being a competitive med applicant, it certainly doesn't hurt to have it. It was actually mentioned to me during a feedback appointment last application cycle that many applicants now have research experience, and that it would help to strengthen my application if I was able to add that. 

• 1 month later...

Honestly... It took me a bit of time to figure out what kind of research I wanted to do. In my first year I tried biochemistry research and it really wasn't for me. I don't think I was proficient with a pipette until the last year of my biochemistry degree! And gosh, my gels were all bubbly messes of agarose!

In third and fourth year of undergrad, though, I found out what my interests were and began working in an ochem lab which helped me get a job as a TA (and ace a killer undergrad thesis project.) Long gone were the days of failed PCR! :lol:Shortly after I started to work as a clinical research assistant (Neurology) and thankfully published publications and several abstracts from that work. And that's helped me collaborate with other labs internationally as well.

While I don't think research is for everyone, for some of us it becomes a healthy addiction. I hope you find some enjoyable research experiences -- being a keen and resourceful learner goes a long way. It's ok if it takes a bit to find the right lab, or to get some work experience on your CV. Best of luck!

Archived