Premed 101 Forums

I think this depends on what your goals are. Are you focused on Canadian schools or American? If the primary goal is Canadian, you should re-write to maximize your chances since the schools here are mainly concerned with CARS and 124 is low. What do your practice scores currently look like? In my experience, CARS didn't deviate much from my practice scores (+/- 1 point). If you are happy with going to the states and feel like your current application is competitive for the states, then you can hold off on re-writing till next year. I am not too familiar with US schools but is 511 and 3.82 GPA considered competitive for a Canadian? Maybe check SDN or other American resources to determine what your chances are for getting US interviews. 

3.82 GPA is fine for the US. Above the average GPA for matriculating international students which was, last year, 3.74. (At least for individuals whose legal residence was NOT in the US). The average MCAT for these individuals was 512. (Source: AAMC Facts Tables) So the OP is in range of a matriculation. I would not obsess about the 124 if the US is your goal. A lower rewrite would look significantly worse than applying with the 511 overall score and the 124 subscore. Someone from one of my old labs got into a couple US schools with an old 34 and an 8 in verbal, so take from that what you will. A 511 is slightly lower than an old 32. If you think you can seriously improve your score, go for it, but a lower rewrite will not look good. Your other scores are good for the US, and many US schools have lower CARS averages, probably reflecting their understanding that many students struggle significantly on CARS. Have you written AAMC FL 1 and 2? These, I personally have found, can be VERY reflective of what you will score on the actual exam. If you are scoring lower than 511 on either of these, I would not write, or write and void. If you are scoring significantly higher, I would write, as showing improvement, especially significant improvement, looks good. The short answer is, see how the AAMC FL's go before deciding whether or not to write. Good Luck!!!

Archived