Premed 101 Forums

MCAT cutoffs overall vs sections scores?

Hey guys!

Looking for some input. Has anyone called or emailed the admissions office at Queen's to ask about this by any chance? I wanted to know if Queens looks at overall MCAT score for cutoffs or individual sections or both? Considering I meet the GPA cutoff, how does this MCAT look: 513 (130/126/126/131)?

Thanks!

I don't know that they'd answer that since they are not very transparent with their application review. What I do know (and what they say on the website) is that they use sequential steps for GPA and MCAT evaluation, so after a certain step in the admissions process, GPA and MCAT are no longer considered. So you gotta meet the cutoffs. As for what those are, they change from year to year, but you can get a decent idea from the last year thread here in the forums. I personally think they're looking for a certain threshold in each section based on the applicant pool each year.

Difficult to say since Queen's doesn't disclose any information. However, based on my speculations on the stats from the past few years, it seems that Queen sets a minimum threshold for each section and then sets a minimum overall score; I wouldn't be surprised if this was a two-step process since some people interview/got accepted with one section ~125, whereas their overall score was still in range compared to others ~510-512.  Again this is just speculation on my part, so take it with a grain of salt. 

Archived