Premed 101 Forums

Can I Use A Similar EC Twice for Personal Activities Section? UAlberta APP

tzehra_

So I worked in the lab for 4 months this summer, and its the same lab that I've been volunteering at for over a year now. Can I put the four months under work experience, and then put the >1 year volunteering under the volunteer experiences or is would it be not okay to repeat involvement in the same lab in two places on my application?

Thanks for any help!

Was the summer work funded under an NSERC or other award? 
If not, I would suggest to put it all under one section. You could demonstrate in your writeup that you started as a volunteer and then progressed to a paid student research assistant to show how you progressed in the position. I personally think it would look like padding if you put the same commitment in two places (especially if they have the same verifier). 

If you were a reader for adcoms, how would you perceive it? The evaluators are not idiots, they understand it all, they understand good faith and padding. Let common sense and good judgment be your guide. How important is it really to have one more separate entry if it is questionable.

On 2017-08-06 at 5:19 AM, Bambi PGY3 said:

If you were a reader for adcoms, how would you perceive it? The evaluators are not idiots, they understand it all, they understand good faith and padding. Let common sense and good judgment be your guide. How important is it really to have one more separate entry if it is questionable.

Good point, thank you.

On 2017-08-05 at 6:08 PM, ExercMed said:

Was the summer work funded under an NSERC or other award? 
If not, I would suggest to put it all under one section. You could demonstrate in your writeup that you started as a volunteer and then progressed to a paid student research assistant to show how you progressed in the position. I personally think it would look like padding if you put the same commitment in two places (especially if they have the same verifier). 

Yeah it was funded by an award. I like your suggestion though. Thank you!

Archived