Premed 101 Forums

Some successes and some failures - seeking advice at the end of my second undergraduate

Hey all!

I'll be entering the final year of my second undergraduate in September, and I was hoping to get some advice on any further steps I should take, or what my prospects are for the 2017-2018 cycle. I'm also considering what steps I should take if I am not accepted in 2017-2018. Should I take a masters, apply for U.S. schools, or go international ?

It's been three years since I decided to become a doctor, and began a second undergraduate degree following the advice I received on this forum. In that time, I think I've developed myself in terms of my academic ability and overall character. In the 2016 cycle, I was granted an interview at Queens, but was wait-listed and ultimately rejected due to critical mistakes in the interview. At the very least, I've taken this as a signal that I'm doing something right and that the past few years of effort (and constant doubt) weren't in vain. 

Summary (Ontario Resident):

First undergrad:

Year 1:  2.50

Year 2: 3.19

Year 3:  3.45 

Year 4:  3.78

Second undergrad:

Year 1: 3.91

Year 2: 3.97

cGPA: 3.46

Old MCAT (Written 2014): 11/11/11

Will be rewriting the MCAT this summer (as some schools will only accept the 2015 MCAT in the coming cycle).

I think my ABS has a healthy mix of research, volunteering, work, and ECs. However, I am concerned about how I am wording it in the ABS. Generally, I try to explain them in connection to CanMEDS roles. 

Which schools would I have a reasonable chance at, and should apply to? I've trawled through forums and admission pages, and I was hoping to get some more experienced opinions from you folks. Along with Ottawa/Western/Queens, some of the schools in Western Canada seem to have GPA weighting schemes that would help overlook my horrendous years in my first undergrad, though they have few allotted seats for OOP. I expect to do as well (if not better) on my upcoming MCAT as I did 3 years ago. 

I also need to plan for the eventuality where I am not accepted. Would it be better to take a masters degree, or to apply for international medical schools? Would U.S. schools be an option given my academic history?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Have you been taking a full course load every year in your 2nd UG degree? If so, that opens up the possibility of Western, provided you perform well on the MCAT.  You also have a solid shot at Ottawa and Queens. McMaster is a bit of a long shot, as you would need an excellent CARS score and a solid CASPER performance, due to your low cGPA. As for OOP schools, I would definitely apply to McGill and Dalhousie. 

On 8/5/2017 at 10:45 PM, Energy said:

Have you been taking a full course load every year in your 2nd UG degree? If so, that opens up the possibility of Western, provided you perform well on the MCAT.  You also have a solid shot at Ottawa and Queens. McMaster is a bit of a long shot, as you would need an excellent CARS score and a solid CASPER performance, due to your low cGPA. As for OOP schools, I would definitely apply to McGill and Dalhousie. 

Yes, I've taken a full course load every year, and ensured that 6+/10 courses were at the correct level respective to the undergraduate year (ex: 6/10 courses in my second year were second year courses or above). 

Thanks for the recommendations! Would you know whether I have a chance in the U.S? As far as I can tell, they look at cGPA, but I've also read that they take into account upward trends. 

Focus on destroying the MCAT and apply this cycle to Canadian schools. The U.S. MD/DO cycle has already started, and your application will be considered late if you apply now. Apply early next cycle to U.S. MD/DO schools and you will have an excellent shot at starting medical school in Fall 2019. The upward trend (especially if your 3rd year 2nd UG performance is also up to par) will help you massively. 

2 hours ago, Energy said:

Focus on destroying the MCAT and apply this cycle to Canadian schools. The U.S. MD/DO cycle has already started, and your application will be considered late if you apply now. Apply early next cycle to U.S. MD/DO schools and you will have an excellent shot at starting medical school in Fall 2019. The upward trend (especially if your 3rd year 2nd UG performance is also up to par) will help you massively. 

Understood. Thanks for the advice, Energy!

Archived