Premed 101 Forums

Chances for McGill? IP

SoraAde

Hey all,

I'm wondering what my chances are for McGill. I won't be applying this cycle, but next, as I don't have my bachelor's yet. 

I currently have a 3.91 cGPA, and can probably get it up to ~3.93-3.94 for next year. I am confident I can do well in CASPer. My concern arises with extracurriculars: I have 2 years of working in residence as a don, 2 years of volunteering with a literacy organization, 2 years of Red Cross and an NSERC summer research position, in addition to some awards and scholarships, and maybe a work study in a lab if I can nab one this year. Is this good enough to get me an interview? 

I am IP. 

Thanks.

On 2017-08-07 at 0:49 AM, SoraAde said:

Hey all,

I'm wondering what my chances are for McGill. I won't be applying this cycle, but next, as I don't have my bachelor's yet. 

I currently have a 3.91 cGPA, and can probably get it up to ~3.93-3.94 for next year. I am confident I can do well in CASPer. My concern arises with extracurriculars: I have 2 years of working in residence as a don, 2 years of volunteering with a literacy organization, 2 years of Red Cross and an NSERC summer research position, in addition to some awards and scholarships, and maybe a work study in a lab if I can nab one this year. Is this good enough to get me an interview? 

I am IP. 

Thanks.

I agree with Bambi. I think your GPA, ECs and overall experiences are competitive, but it all depends on how you frame it in your application. Some who have done some remarkable things are not great at articulating this on paper or at an interview so make sure you have a good handle on articulating your experiences and framing them based on CanMEDs roles.

Looking at some data from McGill - not sure why the # of offered and registered for 2016/2017 is so much less than prior years tho.

Thank you both for your replies— with the incoming cuts to the seats in the medical program in Quebec, I should strive to be as competitive as I can. Do either of you know how many seats they plan to cut in total?

1 minute ago, Haribo7173 said:

Just kill the CASPer and you'll be fine. Your GPA is well above average.

Thank you!

Bambi and qnzjlo, could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by "how you present your CV"? I thought the opportunity to package the content of one's CV into a narrative of why one is suited for med school used to be done in the personal statement, which is now gone. Isn't the CV just a straight-forward listing of one's achievements and activities? Or am I missing something? Thanks!

12 hours ago, MedP111 said:

Bambi and qnzjlo, could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by "how you present your CV"? I thought the opportunity to package the content of one's CV into a narrative of why one is suited for med school used to be done in the personal statement, which is now gone. Isn't the CV just a straight-forward listing of one's achievements and activities? Or am I missing something? Thanks!

Something that I found helpful in preparing my CV was: 

Give the above three links a read and make sure you tailor your CV to address those non-academic qualities and how they align with the guiding principles and what adcom is looking for. You might have done more than what the space allotted permits you to write, so make sure you pick and present achievements and involvements that demonstrate most of these qualities.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, qnzjlo said:

Something that I found helpful in preparing my CV was: 

Give the above three links a read and make sure you tailor your CV to address those non-academic qualities and how they align with the guiding principles and what adcom is looking for. You might have done more than what the space allotted permits you to write, so make sure you pick and present achievements and involvements that demonstrate most of these qualities.

Good luck!

So what exactly is the CV? Is it paragraph style, where you articulate all this in sentencrs? Or is it like OMSAS autobiographical sketch where you just list details of your activities?

1 hour ago, SoraAde said:

So what exactly is the CV? Is it paragraph style, where you articulate all this in sentencrs? Or is it like OMSAS autobiographical sketch where you just list details of your activities?

Once the admissions process begin, there will be a template you'll have to use that will be posted on the faculty's website. You essentially just fill in the blanks with your own experiences. 

Archived