Premed 101 Forums

4 MCAT attempts

futuredoc123

Does anyone know how multiple attempts will factor into the application process for Canadian medical schools? If someone older who has been on the admissions committee could reply, I would greatly appreciate it. 

I understand that most Canadian schools have either a best or most recent score is used for calculation policy. However, I also remember hearing in UofC's admissions information session that while the focus is on your best CARS score, they also consider how many attempts it took you to get that score. The number of attempts was included in something called "global assessment of academic merit" which includes additional things related to your coursework and counts for 10% (https://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/prospective-students/application-manual-2016-2017#quickset-field_collection_quicktabs_2). 

Do any other schools, particularly any of the Ontario schools, have a similar procedure? I am writing for the 3rd time in September, if I feel there is a chance a 4th attempt may be needed, what should I do? If I don't rewrite in September, my current 124 in CARS would make ineligible for even UofT this cycle. 

Anecdotal but a friend of mine wrote the exam 6 times before she was was accepted at U of C.  Probably didn't help her overall application score but clearly was not detrimental to her getting in.

On a side note, I would be very surprised if someone with insight into how the admissions committee evaluates applications disclosed that information on this forum.

Archived