Premed 101 Forums

20 minutes ago, lIlIlIIII said:

Hello premed101,

Last year due to stressful events and poor time management, I had to drop a course to save my GPA. I know this disqualifies me from being able to use wGPA but I was wondering how I would be able to appeal this in academic consideration essay. This was uncharacteristic of me and I don't know what had gotten into me. I know I screwed up and I regret it and I wanted to hear yout thoughts. Any will be appreciated.

Thank you.

IMO, I would try your best to be honest on your academic explanation essay, admissions at the end of the day will decide how to address your file. Were those stress related events due to extenuating circumstance (e.g.loss of a love one, diagnosed with an illness that cause you to drop the term, etc)? For every thing you write on the academic essay you have to have it verified appropriately as well. IMHO, the case you're trying to appeal seems to be common events that are related to university such as stress and poor time management, things that admissions know happens to every student through out university - thus, I don't really think that admissions will grant you that WGPA eligibility in this case. But then again my opinion is only based on an external evaluation of your events, and your story may have more to offer than my simple observation and opinions.

2 minutes ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

IMO, I would try your best to be honest on your academic explanation essay, admissions at the end of the day will decide how to address your file. Were those stress related events due to extenuating circumstance (e.g.loss of a love one, diagnosed with an illness that cause you to drop the term, etc)? For every thing you write on the academic essay you have to have it verified appropriately as well. IMHO, the case you're trying to appeal seems to be common events that are related to university such as stress and poor time management, things that admissions know happens to every student through out university. But then again my opinion is only based on an external evaluation of your events, and your story may have more to offer than my simple observation and opinions.

I have absolutely no one to blame but myself. But rather than dwelling on it I was wondering if honest admittance of my screw up would appeal to those who would view my file.

10 hours ago, lIlIlIIII said:

I have absolutely no one to blame but myself. But rather than dwelling on it I was wondering if honest admittance of my screw up would appeal to those who would view my file.

They'll read your academic essay first before deciding to review your file anyways as stated in their admissions video. There isn't really any way to appeal your situation (since it's not of extenuating circumstance) without being honest...not being honest about your situation would essentially be falsifying your position, which has more profound negative effects.

12 hours ago, lIlIlIIII said:

Hello premed101,

Last year due to stressful events and poor time management, I had to drop a course to save my GPA. I know this disqualifies me from being able to use wGPA but I was wondering how I would be able to appeal this in academic consideration essay. This was uncharacteristic of me and I don't know what had gotten into me. I know I screwed up and I regret it and I wanted to hear yout thoughts. Any will be appreciated.

Thank you.

You made a purposeful decision to drop a course, you were not forced to do anything. You knew or ought to have known that dropping the course disqualified you from having a wGPA; indeed, in retrospect, it may have been a poor choice. I don't know what you would be appealing - compared to those who have legitimate cases. 

1 hour ago, Bambi PGY3 said:

You made a purposeful decision to drop a course, you were not forced to do anything. You knew or ought to have known that dropping the course disqualified you from having a wGPA; indeed, in retrospect, it may have been a poor choice. I don't know what you would be appealing - compared to those who have legitimate cases. 

You are absolutely right. Thank you for your input.

21 minutes ago, MitralLunar said:

Hello just hijacking this thread for a bit..

I don't qualify for reweighting but have a valid reason. Without it I currently stand at 3.948..(which I assume would be rounded to 3.95) and using the weighting formula I end up with 3.96. Is this a big enough difference to warrant an academic explanation essay or would my time better spent elsewhere?

I would not bother with the explanation. Your GPA is competitive enough. 

Similarly, I am ineligible due to thinking it was ok to take only 4 courses in my first semester of my first year because I had IB credits. It is worth it to write an academic explanations essay stating that I only took 4 courses due to my faulty perception of how transfer credits counted as credit hours at the time, and that my reduced course load wasn't due to an inability to handle a full semester? Or would maintaining a full course load for every subsequent semester already demonstrate this? I'm not looking for an appeal, (Omsas unweighted GPA is 3.99 and it's completely my fault) I just want to make sure I don't come off as lazy.  

Thank you. 

13 hours ago, al301330 said:

Similarly, I am ineligible due to thinking it was ok to take only 4 courses in my first semester of my first year because I had IB credits. It is worth it to write an academic explanations essay stating that I only took 4 courses due to my faulty perception of how transfer credits counted as credit hours at the time, and that my reduced course load wasn't due to an inability to handle a full semester? Or would maintaining a full course load for every subsequent semester already demonstrate this? I'm not looking for an appeal, (Omsas unweighted GPA is 3.99 and it's completely my fault) I just want to make sure I don't come off as lazy.  

Thank you. 

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic lol. You have a 3.99 GPA - you do not need to write the essay. The purpose of having a full course load is only to be eligible for the wGPA which you don't need. 

1 hour ago, itsmemario said:

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic lol. You have a 3.99 GPA - you do not need to write the essay. The purpose of having a full course load is only to be eligible for the wGPA which you don't need. 

Not sarcastic though I could see how it would come off that way. It's that in the OMSAS description of the essay, it includes: ''Explain why your transcript would have less than a full course load '' and I wouldn't want an unjustified reduced course load to look bad amongst an already incredibly competitive pool of applicants. But you're probably right, it would be most likely unnecessary and if anything, would just draw undesired attention to it. 

EDIT: In reading it back, this is just overt neuroticism and overthinking that one line in the essay description 

Archived