Premed 101 Forums

I would take it. No guarantee you get into a Canadian school after your undergrad, and the $90k difference is made up by the fact that you can start working right at 24-25 as opposed to 26-27, if you even get into a Canadian school right away after graduating. Accept the offer and don't look back.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I figured I would post here seeing as I'm in a similar situation. I received acceptance to UQ for the Feb 2018 intake. The past two years I've been wait listed at UofA but not accepted. For whatever reason, I haven't been able to crack the interview so it seems like there's no guarantee I'll get in next year even if I further improve my GPA. I figure the cost will be ~$200,000 more at UQ vs UofA but I'm trying to evaluate whether that tuition difference will be negligible enough in the long run to make it worth taking another year to try for a Canadian school. 

This is what I gathered when I was evaluating my option of going to Australia: its a good option if you can afford it financially. If you can deal with being so far away from family then I don't see why not. Although, I have to point out, you are on a great path to getting an acceptance here in Canada. But a sure thing is a sure thing, and if that is worth it to you(while keeping in mind about the limitation regarding specialization), then go for it! Good luck :)

14 hours ago, premedschool said:

3) I will be studying at UQ by myself (no family in Australia). As I talked to my general dentist, who came from Sydney Dental School, depression/cultural difference will definitely happen to me at some point. Plus, not having my family close to me worries me, as I will be spending 5 years in Australia.

You should go to UQ if becoming a dentist is your ultimate goal. There's no guarantee that you will get accepted after you finish undergrad.

Depression/cultural difference, sure it may happen. But you are young, and this is the opportunity for you to develop yourself and adapt to a new environment. Better to do it now then never.

Just curious, who is your general dentist?

Archived