Premed 101 Forums

Help Choosing 3rd Reference

Hi everyone, so I have chosen 2 out of the 3 referees so far. One is a professor I was close with last year (also did very well in the class), and another is my volunteer supervisor who I also worked closely with. So that's 1 academic and 1 non-academic letter. For my 3rd referee, I have 2 choices:

1) Summer research supervisor -  managed to get a poster presentation at the end of the summer. He would most likely be focusing on my academic/research-related qualities.

2) High school music teacher - I've known her very closely from grade 9-12, and I was involved in 3 musical ensembles and also 2 other ECs with her in high school. She would most likely focus on my non-academic qualities.

Essentially, I have a choice of 1 academic + 2 non-academic, or 2 academic + 1 non-academic. What do you guys think would be a better option? I am leaning towards option #2, my music teacher, but I'm just worried that they may not like that I worked with her in high school only, and not at the undergraduate level.

How close are you with the research supervisor? Will this be some last minute generic letter or do you think he will make an effort to write a good letter? If you think he will write a good letter, I would go with this one. Take a look at the UofT clusters and CANMED roles to see if your 3 letters cover most of these. 

2 minutes ago, itsmemario said:

How close are you with the research supervisor? Will this be some last minute generic letter or do you think he will make an effort to write a good letter? If you think he will write a good letter, I would go with this one. Take a look at the UofT clusters and CANMED roles to see if your 3 letters cover most of these. 

Relatively, I am not that close to him (4 months, vs. 4 years for my music teacher). I asked another student from the lab and he said the supervisor asked him to "make a template" - he is a pretty busy supervisor so I'm not surprised. It's hard to say who would write the better one, I think both equally care about my future success. Objectively though, my music teacher has known me for quite a longer time.

Edit: I looked at the CanMEDs roles, and it really seemed like my professor and research supervisor would cover the same roles, whereas my music teacher covered some new roles.

Archived