Premed 101 Forums

Tips for Writing Applications (U of C/U of A)

g2018

I am a 4th year student applying to medical school for the second time and I am looking for some advice/tips on how people went about writing about their personal experiences and EC activities on their applications. I am an Alberta resident and applied to both U of C and U of A last year and did not get invited for an interview to either school. When I received my score report from U of A my cGPA and MCAT scores were both above average but my personal activities score was way below. It was similar for U of C with my subjective academics score being high and my R2-7 scores being very, very low. 

I think overall compared to people I know who have gotten into medical school, my EC are on par so I am left wondering if it was more to do with the way that I wrote about my activities (I scored in the 15th percentile for R2 Communication Skills on my U of C application). I tried to focus on the CanMED criteria, linking each activity to 1-2 criteria. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about writing about your EC and personal experiences on applications? 

Thanks! 

Archived